Author Topic: Engine won't start when warm  (Read 20027 times)

Offline thor13

Engine won't start when warm
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted, but I have an 81 c10 step side 350 th 350 tranny. That when it gets warm it's nearly impossible to start.

I kno it's not the starter the other one went out 2 weeks ago so it's new. I know it's getting fuel because when I got it the fuel pump was shot so that's new as well. I've been getting mixed answers so I thought id bring it up here.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
Re: Engine won't start when warm
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »
What's the initial timing?

Offline thor13

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
shoot i honestly couldn't say. i got the truck from a guy who couldn't really tell me anything about it. he said he had recently replaced plugs and wires.

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
Does it "grunt" when you try and start it?  454Man is suggesting too much advanced timing.   

Offline thor13

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
not really a grunt so to say, but it just tries to turn over but wont get all the way there. if i pen down the gas and hold it for about 2 or 3 seconds and do that a few times it will eventually crank. starts first crank every time before it gets hot though,

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
What I mean by "grunt" is, it sounds like a weak battery. 

Check your initial timing, it should be safe a t 10 degrees advanced. If you are too far advanced, you may also experience some pinging or detonation. If you are experiencing detonation you should immediately retard the timing to avoid major damage to the pistons.

Also, do you know if your alternator is charging?  Maybe you are just running down the battery when driving and thats why it wont start.

You can place a multimeter on volts and and touch the probes to the battery terminals while the motor is running and it should read 13.5-14 volts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:10:10 PM by Fairlane514 »

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
check for fire?
if no fire, i'd say its your module or pick up coil in the distributor.  My 79 did that when it was hot, couldn't restart til cooled.  No spark.

If it gets fire at the plug, i'd say choke adjustment. Probably stays closed when engine is warm. Open it with a screw driver and turn it over and see.

Offline sbx22

• Registered Users
  • 1974 1/2 ton 350 sbc
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
Mine did this too. What I did was I put in a heat shield for the starter and I also put a heat insulator between carb and intake. I did both simultaneously so I couldn't tell you which one did the trick for me.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
if it does grunt or slow turn, easiest and fastest thing is to retard the timing, just turn the distributor 1/2" to 1". see how that works. if that doesnt work test for spark. if you have spark then the only thing left is the starter being heat soaked. new starters can be bad out of the box or go bad fast. chances are its just the timing or a spark problem tho
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
     I would start with what everyone says, most likely heat related.  If not you might have to tune the carb, the carb acts differently when on a cold engine to a warm engine, vacuum inside changes which changes the internal venturi's and how they operate, if out of adjustment that might be why you have to hold the pedal to the floor. (or dirty)
     Like I said start with what has been stated, the easy stuff first, then if need be move on to the advanced stuff.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
You said engine won't start when warm so obviously it's not your starter if you are stating it cranks but will not run. Am I correct in this assumption or are you stating it won't crank when it's warm?  Clarify

If it's in fact a crank no start condition check for spark. GM HEI pick up coils are prone to heat failure. If you determine you are losing spark when the engine is hot I would suggest replacing the distributor. It's no longer worth replacing a pick up coil or module. You can buy a replcement distributor with cap, rotor, coil, module, and pickup for under $70 now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SB-SBC-GM-CHEVY-HEI-Distributor-Clear-Cap-65K-Coil-350-/330588689439?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf89f141f&vxp=mtr
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10