Author Topic: The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing) *pics added*  (Read 17867 times)

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
Re: The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing) *pics added*
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
So, what are your ideas/plans for the suspension? A 4 link in the rear is great and all but road stability goes down quite a bit, more for off-roading / "4 wheeling / crawling, you would be better off sticking with the original spring over axle setup that you have, new leaf springs , would do a world of difference combined with new bushings ,,,, also if you have the ability buddy you would REALLY benefit from a 56" leaf spring instead of a 52", your ride quality would greatly improve, though,,,, you would need to remove your leaf spring hanger brackets and move the brackets forward a few inches, and also the rear brackets back a couple inches,, just good food for thought for you brother, just thought I'd put my two cents in for ya,,,, again, GREAT job man, I'm loving the build, you have a sweet truck
78 k10 4x4

Offline Silver_Bullet85

The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing) *pics added*
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »
What a busy 3 months it's been! I haven't had too much time to work on the truck but I've gotten a lot accomplished. The wiring is complete, the truck is all back together and running under her own power now, which is more than I thought lol.

Earlier this month we had the first family reunion from my mothers side in over 10 yrs and I had only 3 days to get the truck ready to take and surprise my grandfather with. I haven't told him anything I've done to the truck since I picked it up back in January and wanted it to be perfect. All we had left to do was to put the bed back on, wire it up and paint it, finish installing the front grill and wire up all the headlights and signals and then give the rest of the truck a fresh coat of primer to cover all the scuffs and scratches. Then test drive it lol.

Oh! I almost forgot, we fired the engine up back in July and took it for a ride and quickly learned that I had the wrong torque converter. I had the original th350C and ordered a tc for the th350, turns out there's quite a difference lol! I found a great deal on a rebuilt 350 from the guys at performance automatic that was the same price as having my 350c rebuilt locally. It took a week to deliver and I threw that puppy in immediately after tinkering with the same tc a bit (the smaller set of splines deep inside the tc were rounded a bit so a good file and plenty of flushing of fluid cleaned everything up) and she fit like a charm! Double checked all measurements and bolted everything in. Ran like a beast afterwards and I've had no problems since except for the driveshaft slip yoke is leaking fluid, easy fix.

Back to the reunion tho, we got her finished just in time and got loaded up and after blowing out a tire on the u-haul trailer and waiting 4hrs on the side of the interstate in 105 deg weather I finally made it there to surprise my grandfather. The look on his face was priceless! He couldn't stop laughing and dang near lost it when I opened the hood. He thought I had just replaced the carb on the old 305, until I popped the hood of course. It turned out to be an awesome weekend and it was really neat to share a cold one with him and share stories of all the work he and I had done to the truck over the years.

I wish I had more pictures to share but we were in such a time crunch this past month that it never crossed my mind, I'll add some more recent ones soon but I have some decent ones to add for now. I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone on here for all the help y'all have provided. I gave up trying to google search when I had a problem and just went straight to the tech pages and about 90% of the time I found exactly what I needed! the other 10% was spent getting sidetracked on some of the other cool projects I found while trying to fix my original problem lol! Anyway here y'all go!

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
Fear, thanks!, glad you like the truck! After much deliberation between me and my brother we've decided that we've both invested way too much of ourselves into this truck to butcher the front end and convert it to 4wd, swapping frames is out of the question as I want it to remain original in that area. Also I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurism if I saw that truck buried in mud lol. So she's remaining a street truck and will be upgraded in that area as time goes by.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah I'm totally diggin it your truck is a flat out beast and the attention to detail has made really well put together, excellent work throughout the build, it turned out a night and day difference truck from what it started out as, great job silver, impressive painting on the engine and very cool interior restoration redo , that's top notch, wish I could take the dough and time to do that to my interior with all new flooring, carpet, dash , seats and upholstery lol you went all out! I don't blame you on keeping it 2 wheel drive for street use only, cutting a frame is very sketchy to begin with and swapping a frame is a headache ,,,, make that a migraine lol,,,, I think you made a smart money saving economical move by keeping it 2wd... I would have a aneurism too if the truck was buried in mud caked all over everything,,, too nice of a truck to mud bog with, now a junker 4x4 truck would be alright to do that. I used to mud bog and 4 wheel ALOT in a couple trucks built and made for that type of environment , nice trucks, but ,,,, the mud and crawling tore up the truck after awhile , maintenance was constant, and overran expensive and not worth the hobby,,,, now if money wasn't an issue I'd be full into it... My back can't handle that type of driving ,,, period... Lol so brother I think you made a great choice, cleaning and detailing after mudding or 4 wheeling is a pain no matter how we go about doing it.... Sweet 350 you have there... Looks great top to bottom.... What else is there left to do?
78 k10 4x4

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
Thanks fear! You're right, a lot of time went into making this truck what it is, my grandfather was one of the hardest working men I know and it wouldn't be right to restore his truck without putting in some serious sweat and hours and making sure it's done right. Glad we agree on the muddling lol, if I get the itch I can always take my brothers truck for a dip, it's a ford so there won't be any surprise when it breaks haha.

What else is there to do? I feel like no matter how much I accomplish I will always be able to answer that question with a list lol. At this point I'm waiting for my bank acct to recover, finishing this truck in time to show gramps put a hurtin on me in more ways than one lol. The next big things are a full paint job, spray-in bed liner, disc brake conversion and all-around upgrade, and probably a/c (but with winter coming that'll probably be thrown to the back burner). In the meantime tho I'll get some hoses made to finish out my power steering, get the wiper motor working, wire in the power windows and locks, and fix some other little issues like the occasionally sticky throttle, kick down cable adjustment on the tranny (currently not hooked up for lack of know-how), and getting the brake feel just right. Oh and it'll be really nice to eventually get a radio thrown back in, I'm really digging the old vintage radios that have the Bluetooth system in them, but that may be a little excessive.... or is it?

Offline FearNoMan78k10

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »
Silver I'm sanding and painting today , I have only a minute , I look forward to responding to your post later today ! Have a great day bud
78 k10 4x4