Author Topic: Shocks on a lift?  (Read 4169 times)

Offline arby87

Shocks on a lift?
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
I am pretty new at these trucks- and definitely new to suspensions.

87 V10, TBI, 350/700R4, 4" lift (springs up front, blocks out back), 33"x12" on 15s, frame repair and bracing welded in (was barely cracked).

Pretty sure I need new shocks. Problem is, I have no idea if the lift kit on my truck was an actual kit, and if so, which brand/style. My truck was originally outfitted with quad front shocks, but the P.O. replaced the front axle with one that only accepted a single pair.

For ordering new shocks, do I just need to measure the current ones? I have no idea what brand they are, but I am guessing they are 10+ years old.

Will also need a front steering stabilizer shock- same applies?

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
Re: Shocks on a lift?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
On steering stabilizer off road design sells the factory one. Or can upgrade to the blistein. On shocks you can look at the chart they have on there website should help.

Offline arby87

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
Seems a lot of people prefer the Bilsteins- are they that great?

Any stock steering stabilizer should work, right? I am assuming the lift kit didn't do anything to that part.

Been looking at the general purpose Bilstein 5100 series......but Amazon keeps throwing a fit because none of the ones they advertise specifically call out a model that fits my truck.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
yes lift didnt affect stablizer.    thats the shocks i went with 5100. 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
Regardless of estimated lift, you need to measure and order accordingly. As far as the quad shock, you can buy the  longer bolt and appropriate spacer right at the hardware store.

Here are some measurements for example that i took on one of my trucks.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
I put add a leafs in my truck, which then required I get new shock (1" overall ride height difference) all I did was find the maximum extension (axles at full droop, add 1" to that measurement, and find a pair of shocks that gave the biggest value between extended and compressed.

And once I got the shocks, I got new bump stops, so the shocks were not the limiting factor in upward motion (and why I add 1" to extended to make sure shock is not limiting downward motion.)

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
did you see this post
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=31301.0
may help you identify what you need and what you have
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline arby87

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
I did look at that post....

It looks like I might have one of the Tuff Country EZ-Ride lift kits- if the red shock boots are safe to go by.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfy-14710kn/overview/year/1987/make/chevrolet/submodel/silverado

The kit mentioned has shocks that look like that along with the steering arm, blocks, and leafs for the front...the writing on my shocks has faded and rusted the surface a long time ago, so the red boots are the only thing I got to go on besides the contents of the kit.

Any others use red boots on their shocks?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
all of them use red boots some other options are red or blue
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes