Author Topic: Any objections?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline ToddN

Any objections?
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:03 AM »
So.
My truck is solid.  But it's a work truck.  A farm truck.  It gets used.  So I'm budget minded.  I'm redoing the exhaust this spring and this is what I'm leaning towards.
Hooker super comp long tubes.  Twin cats.  Twin 10 series mufflers.  I know they are loud.  Thats what I want.  Im a family man but I still like making a scene leaving the general store.  What do you guys think?
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take everything you have.

Offline ToddN

Re: Any objections?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
Actually I mistyped.  Not the super comp.  The comp.  The entry level steel Hookers
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take everything you have.

Offline thachevythang

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
check out this post: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=19519.0

To me glasspacks are the loudest most scene causing sound out there! Your set up will definitely be loud and a much better quality in the longrun.
'85 SHORTBED

Offline ToddN

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
I saw that thread.  I think they are very cool.  But....while the inspection station I go to dosent care about noise or emissions, he still wants to see cats.

Offline low budget

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »
If you have to run the cat's, then run straight pipes after if you can. 
If you have to run mufflers, run the glasspacks and turn them backwards so the exhaust goes straight through.  I had a car I done this with and it really sounded good.  I didn't have the cat's on it, so that might make it sound a little milder.  Good luck with whatever you come up with...   
86 Chevy LWB 305 scrapped for 350, 3/5 drop

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
I just put a set of ceramic coated Hooker comps on the 400 I put in my 82 yesterday, and they are awesome. Fit and finish are excellent. Two things: I need to bend the auto shift linkage rod because it touches one of the header tubes, and they didn't come with the reducers, so budget in for a set of those too. I run dual 2.5" through 24" Cherry Bomb glasspacks and no cats and I think it sounds pretty good.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline ToddN

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:08:10 AM »
Very nice grim.  How about the pulley bracket on drivers side?  I've wondered how that is going to go.  It looks like the second primary tube would have trouble clearing.  I should take a pic.

Offline ToddN

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Actually, seeing how there is no pulley there anymore, I could just grind it off a bit.  I cant take it completely off I dont think because it still anchors a diff. pulley still in use.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
I welded the stock power steering/AC brackets together and cut off the extra so it only attaches to the front of the head since I'm not running the AC. The Hooker headers came with a bracket and a spacer but I didn't use them.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline ToddN

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
That is exactly my setup.  Thanx for the tip.