Author Topic: K30 Crew Cab Sierra Classic Build Up  (Read 4067 times)

Offline CJGuy

K30 Crew Cab Sierra Classic Build Up
« on: June 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
Figured I’d start a build thread on here as I go along building and restoring this 1986 K30 crew cab. It’s got a real nice interior, power everything, cruise, tilt, and is a factory 6.2/4 speed stick combo. I bought the truck from a fella who wanted to keep the axles, so he dropped it off in my driveway, we blocked it up, and he tore out he diffs

I quickly found a 14 bolt and put a Dodge 60 I already had back under it to get it rolling. Unfortunately the dodge diff was all piled up and mangled, and wouldn’t turn. So the truck could drive in a straight line only

So I borrowed the front GM 60 from a 79 crew cab parts truck I happened to be sitting on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CJGuy

Re: K30 Crew Cab Sierra Classic Build Up
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
Put some proper tires onto the thing so it looks a lot better now. Has a lift from the previous owner, not sure how much but it’s pretty tall. Big blocks in the back

While the eventual plan is to swap out the 6.2 for something just a bit more exciting, for the meantime I’ve picked up an NV4500 so I can actually drive it on the highway. The 6.2 will stay until all the body work is done

Offline Mpiersd

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
Looks good.  I tried to buy a restored CC with the same colors on it a couple of months ago.  Someone beat me to it.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:44:07 AM »
How about just upgrading to a turbo charged 6.2?   It just seems like the right engine for a K30, and should be a straightforward swap/upgrade.

Bruce

Offline CJGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
Found a steal of a deal on a 96 Ram 2500, so I may do right away with the 6.2 and put it something a little more exciting from this parts truck

Offline CJGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
Took it out for a spin for the first time since the axles went in, got a nice picture or 2

Also found a set of King Ranch seats in a junkyard, so those will be going in at some point

Offline CJGuy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 08:51:53 PM »
How about just upgrading to a turbo charged 6.2?   It just seems like the right engine for a K30, and should be a straightforward swap/upgrade.

Bruce

Have thought about it, but I was definitely unimpressed on the first drive with the truck.  I've owned and driven Dodge diesels for my entire driving career, and it seems like a natural step for this truck

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »
Looks like it's going to be a cool machine!  I love the CC's, I wish I'd have kept my last one... :'(
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed