Author Topic: I need to keep out the mice!  (Read 3989 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
I need to keep out the mice!
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
My truck doesn't get driven a lot.  This fall I found mice in the seat.  I had the seat rebuilt and re upholstered with new padding and such, then I put traps and rodent deterrent in the cab and under the engine.  managed to keep out the mice but what a mess.   Anyway I finally found the hole in the firewall.  The seal around the speedometer cable is not there.  Anybody have a part number or a source for the grommet or whatever that goes on the firewall around the speedometer cable?  Thanks in advance for your assistance,

ricky
Ricky

Offline 80Chevy4x4

• Registered Users
  • Honey this only costed a couple of dollars!
Re: I need to keep out the mice!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »
I used to live in a house on a farm...and the way we ended up keeping mice out of the house os by spreading cedar chip mulch around the base of the house...maybe if you got some cedar chip mulch and spread it and park your truck on top of it might help....i know how it can get fustrating.

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:12 AM »
Yeah..I am on an acreage surrounded by other acreages...all wild.  Cedar chips...I can do that.  Thanks for the tip!!
Ricky

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
Do you park in a garage?

Well, for anyone who does park in a garage, it would probably be best NOT to store food in the garage----rice, nuts, wheat, chips etc.   Canned food is ok though.

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
I use moth balls in 2 trucks and a camper stored thru the winter months.....no mice
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »
I had same problem, just kept trapping and killing until i wiped out the whole population. Now i cant even trap one with a glob of pnut btr. They're gone i tell ya!! Dont tell Irish though if you wipe em out, he loves animals. Lol...
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Just got the air and heat ducting removed and cleared of nests.  Not seeing anything fresh.  The seat was 500 bucks.  Now I don't want any repeats.  Now with the ducts cleaned I think the smell is gone.  Looking and smelling much better.  I think I have the problem fixed.  Found two entry points on the firewall and plugged them both.  Still keeping glue traps in the engine compartment.  Kind of a mess if you forget them while tinkering....

ricky
Ricky

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
Check those cab corners, thats where they got in on mine. Until i wiped'em all out. I had to stuff some mesh screen in there.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:52:02 PM »
yes im kind of sensitive with rodents. except squirrels i love me some squirrels and rabbits. at one point i (my wife and I) had over 50 +/- dwarf hamsters. we would handle them a week after they were born to get them used to humans and we had a few pet stores that would really want ours vs others.

but on a side note. Live mouse traps while not in use will still trap mice. my wife just went through the garage and found ours to take to her dads. inside of it was 3 mice that were long gone, ironic that a trap intended to safely removed them cause them to suffer for days without food or water

If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »
Yeah, we dont have much other animal problems around here. Except in late spring the skunks dig holes all over the lawn. I dont kill them, i just trap and relocate them to CT, across the hwy and river.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:35:12 PM by philo_beddoe »

Offline tonyb

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
Used to use moth balls in collector cars and tractors, stinks too bad. Found a product called " cab fresh"at the local Case IH dealership. basically a small bag of cedar chips. Works great and smells better thab moth balls. if storing over winter, we sprinkle cayenne pepper powder around the tires all the way around. They hate that.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
Thats a good idea, and cheap in bulk amounts.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:14:44 PM by philo_beddoe »