Author Topic: Monojet Questions  (Read 1594 times)

Offline sphinx

• Registered Users
Monojet Questions
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
The carb on my '78 parts truck finally crapped out.  I was running the engine about once a month to keep the battery charged and internals lubed, when I went to run it last time it would not stay idling.  I suspected the carb as all else checked out (fuel, spark, etc) I pulled the carb off and decided to put a kit in it.  I also have another monojet off the project truck a '76, but it has been off the motor over a year and the last time I ran it it was running rich.

Here is what I have:

From the 76 carb# 17056002  1MV.  Per GM this a correct carb for a 76 250 with automatic and no AC.

From the 78 carb# 17058021  1ME.  Per GM this a correct carb for a  78 250 with manual trans and no AC.

Both had obviously been rebuilt at least once in its life time, the screw heads had the scares. 

Here is what I noticed:

The '78, with electric choke had a 103 jet and 90 rod while the 76, standard heat coil choke, had a 113 jet and a 86 rod.  I measured both rods and jets to verify what I thought was stamped on them.  I measured them +/-  .002 of the assumed markings, allowing for wear and measurement error this seemed reasonablely correct.  With these combinations the 'opening' at part throttle on the 76 is almost 200% larger then the 78.  Of course this assumes that no one has re-jetted either carb.

Question 1, is it normal to see that big of a jet/rod combination difference for same size engine in roughly the same applications?  I know that the 78 probably had more emission standards and less output, but that seems like a tremendous difference to me.

Question 2, is there any reference for carb jet and rod sizes used by GM on monojets?

Question 3, which combination should I use, assuming I going to rebuild the 78 model with electric choke for use on mostly stock 250 with a automatic and no AC?

Any other monojet suggestions and references would be a great help too.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Monojet Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
You should be able to use either and just adjust accordingly.

Offline sphinx

• Registered Users
Re: Monojet Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Ill drop a kit in see how it runs.