Author Topic: One more speaker question...  (Read 5259 times)

Offline gregmc30

One more speaker question...
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:52 AM »
I hate to ask another speaker question but I've been searching the forum and can't find the info I'm looking for. My stock am/fm radio works greats but I have a couple of blown speakers. I would simply like install new speaker wire, upgrade the speakers in the dash and upgrade the 4x10s in the back. I do not want to add amps, woofers, tweeters, etc. I like everything to look old school stock. Can anyone recommend some good easy to install speakers that will work great with these old Delco radios? Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:47:31 AM by gregmc30 »
1984 SILVERADO K20 4X4

Offline roboticjunky

Re: One more speaker question...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »
Turnsignal.com has stock replacement speakers that are 10ohms. Don't know how well they will sound.
1987 V10 Silverado 350 HSR

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
Alot of the popular speaker company's actually offer new speakers in various ohm ranges in the 4x10 size.

Just google "new 4x10 speakers". You will not be disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:17:27 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline gregmc30

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:30 AM »
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I talked to a car audio guy and he said if I buy 4ohm speakers, wire them in series so they will pull 8 ohm and not overheat my old radio. So that's what I did. In the front dash corners I installed - Kicker 3.5" Speakers 41KSC354. In the rear cab corners I installed - Kicker 4x10" 41KSC4104. Each side was wired in series. The speakers sound great. They do not have a lot of bass but about all I listen to is old country music so they work great for me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:42:02 AM by gregmc30 »
1984 SILVERADO K20 4X4

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
Bringing up a dead thread here to ask a question about these speakers.  I've also got my dash off waiting on the replacement and replacing original 1985 3.5 inch dash speakers.  I'll also be replacing the two behind the seat.  I see many speakers that appear that they will fit, but my concern is the connection of the existing wires to the new speakers.  Once the speakers are in place how do you deal with the connections that don't just snap right on the new speakers like they did the factory ones?   Thanks in advance! 

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:14:49 AM »
Every aftermarket and OEM speaker I've seen has two metal connection tabs on the speaker, and its relatively easy to find connectors at the parts store that will just slip on. 

There are at least two sizes of metal tabs, and on OEM speakers they use the two sizes to make it harder to mix up positive and negative.  However, all you need to do is make sure the connectors you buy will slip on the tab and fit tightly.  Just crimp the female tab on the speaker wire, and for good measure add some heat shrink to seal the wire to the connection.

When you buy speaker wire, go for a larger wire like 18 gauge if its available.  Most wire that comes with speaker kits is probably 20 gauge or maybe even 22 gauge, and its not really durable enough to run under kick plates or carpet. Always crimp connections with a real wire crimper (not just pliers), and use heat shrink to seal the connectors to the wire.  If you are installing an aftermarket radio and/or amp.  Make sure you have a good ground point to bare metal, and if possible connect it all to a common ground terminal.  Your truck is a good ground overall, but it can introduce noise if you use multiple ground points.   

If you do get any noise in the speakers (alternator whine, wiper motor noise, etc.), it may help to power a high amp radio directly off the battery, and use a 12 volt relay to activate power.   I don't think this is an issue with square bodies, but in some other vehicles it has been a problem.

Bruce

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Bringing up a dead thread here to ask a question about these speakers.  I've also got my dash off waiting on the replacement and replacing original 1985 3.5 inch dash speakers.  I'll also be replacing the two behind the seat.  I see many speakers that appear that they will fit, but my concern is the connection of the existing wires to the new speakers.  Once the speakers are in place how do you deal with the connections that don't just snap right on the new speakers like they did the factory ones?   Thanks in advance!

factory speaker connectors to aftermarket speaker terminal adapters by Metra
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
Very nice BD, I was able to find it on amazon for under $5 free shipping.  Crutchfield wanted like $15 for it with shipping.  Any for the front speakers?   Also thanks for the info 75gmc.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:05 AM »
Will look at that one closer.  Crutchfield says that one does not fit an 85 Chevy C10. 

Offline jsc

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »
I haven't had any problems with Crutchfield at all.  They are easy to deal with, and you can usually get someone on the phone to talk you through installation.  I got a dual speaker for the middle of the dash and it works great.  That, plus 2 in the door. 

You may run into an issue that they old radios just don't have as much output as newer units.  You could use a small amp to really make it sound better. 

Just a thought....