Author Topic: HELP WITH TRANSFER CASE OPERATION  (Read 4283 times)

Offline 85 swbchevy

HELP WITH TRANSFER CASE OPERATION
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
Hey guys, I need a little help. My 79 Blazer has a NP203 case and manual locking front hubs (Warn). The shifter has Hi lock, Hi, N, Low, Low Lock. What is the correct procedure for shifting between high and low, and also into the lock positions. What about locking the manual hubs. The only 4x4 I ever had was a 86 Blazer, and it had auto locking hubs. You could shift it while running, between 2wd high and 4wd high, but you had to stop, put the trans in neutral, to shift into low range. When you shifted back into 2wd high, you had to backup to unlock the hubs. Any operation tips on this 203 case is appreciated. Thanks

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: HELP WITH TRANSFER CASE OPERATION
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »
NP203 is a fulltime 4x4 transfer case.  If it has locking hubs someone possible (hopefully) put a part time kit on it.
The hubs are what "puts" it in 4x4 after a conversion.  You can shift from 2hi to 4hi, but it won't do you any good unless the hubs are locked.  You cannot shift to any gear across the N (neutral) gate without stopping.  So if you want to go from 2 hi to 2 lo, stop shift and go.

Regular np203 shift pattern is
4lo loc
4lo
N
4hi
4hi loc

part time np203 shift pattern is
4lo
2lo
N
2hi
4hi

If you are able to drive with the hubs unlocked and the T-case in 2Hi, it has a kit in it.  If you unlock the hubs and are in 2Hi without the kit, the truck won't move.