Author Topic: Fuel gauge symptom  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
Fuel gauge symptom
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
I recently did a complete rewire of my 82 Sierra k10 and have all functioning gauges with the exception of the gas gauge. I had to get a new cluster and used one out of an 86 model truck. I used a painless harness and since the harness is for years 73-87 I wired the gauge plug for an 86 model according to their instructions. Everything is working except the gas gauge but when I turn on the headlights and hit the dimmer switch to high beams the gas gauge will go up to full. Turn it off and it will slowly back down. I'm assuming its a ground problem but not sure where to start. I replaced the sending unit and pretty sure I have it grounded good to the frame. Could it possibly a ground loose or disconnected at the cluster itself? I have all but maybe two or three of the cluster bulbs that need to be replaced and am wondering if that may be the problem? Kinda like when your turn signal bulb burns out how the blinker will either flash quickly or not at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline rich weyand

Re: Fuel gauge symptom
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
The sender must be grounded to the frame.

The back of the passenger side head of the engine must be connected to the firewall with a ground braid.

The front of the driver side head of the engine must be connected to the frame rail with a ground braid.

There should be connections from the headlight wiring harness to a sheet metal ground on both sides of the vehicle.

These should all be easy to spot from the above descriptions.  Take a look and tell us if any are missing.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift