Author Topic: emergency / parking brake setup  (Read 3271 times)

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
emergency / parking brake setup
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
Hello all,

Wanted to get an opinion on this.  I am fixing up an 82 GMC (1/2 ton, SB, 4x4) and am to the point where I need to do something about the ebrake.  The original parts to this on the truck are gone or unserviceable.  I need to get this working or it wont get an inspection sticker here.

So my first instinct was to mail order all new parts for my 82 with the cable that goes across under the cab, etc.  Probably around 100 bucks for everything.  After searching the forums and reading some posts, I found some people saying that this setup makes it more challenging to run an exhaust.  To be honest it seems to me like theres a lot that can go wrong with this setup with all the tension rods and what not.

The setup used by the 84-up looks like it works better with the way it all goes down the drivers side and then across the axle where it wont interfere with any exhaust routing.  The price for all the components is about the same.  Looks like you just need to add a few brackets to make it happen.  I imagine there is also some issue that needs to be overcome to hook to the pedal.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone done it?  I have an 89 k5 with the later setup that can be cannibalized for parts.

Thanks,

Bluevan
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: emergency / parking brake setup
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
I never had issues running exhaust with either version, but if you have a donor it should be ok.  Keep in mind the bracket for the front of the diff...

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: emergency / parking brake setup
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
I use the 84 style on mine which has a 79 frame but 86 cab and 86 rear end. Putting the cables on the frame is simple enough.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!