Author Topic: 208 t case adjustment  (Read 12097 times)

Offline jmf

• New Users
208 t case adjustment
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
I recently bought an 86 Chevy K10 with a 305, auto and 208 t case.  After having driven it a few times on short trips without a problem, a few days ago, while I was driving in 2wd it seems that the t case kicked into neutral.  If I shift to 4 hi nothing changes, but if I go to 4lo, I can go on, and even shift back to 2wd and have continue to drive. 
I have searched the forum here for answers.  I checked and topped off the t case fluid.  I still had another episode after topping off the fluid.  I checked the t case linkage, there seemed to be minimal slack, so I removed the shift linkage and cleaned off the threads. 
Now I am looking for guidance on how to adjust the t case shift linkage appropriately. 
Thanks in advance.  I suppose that if adjustment doesn't fix the problem, it will be time for rebuild or replace.

Offline winky

Re: 208 t case adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
i have a 208 t case and had a similar problem.. the guide plate the lever comes threw was lose and letting it slip. just an idea, you might wanna take the 4x4 lever cover off and shift it into different gear and see how it goes. also i know you said you checked for slack, did you just wiggle stuff or have someone else change gears while you watched? sometimes those plastic sleeves the joints go into will wear and allow the rods to kinda flex (happened on my friends truck) hopefully this will help you some. im sure other people will respond with tips and advise.

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
Does the 208 linkage adjust like the 203 does, or like you adjust a 4 speed transmission linkage?

On my 203 transfer case and on previous 4 speed Muncie manual transmissions, you would put the shifter in a neutral position and then install a pin through a specific place in the shifter to lock it in place. Then you would adjust the two linkage rods going to the shifting arms so that everything was in sync.

Again, not sure if your 208 linkage adjusts like my 203 did.

Edit to add:
I did a Google search and found this if it helps anyone.:

NP 208
Put transfer case lever in 4HI position.
Push lower shifter lever forward to 4HI stop.
Install rod swivel in shift lever hole.
Hang 0.20 thick gauge cover rod behind swivel.
Run rear rod nut "A" against gauge with shifter against 4HI stop.
Remove gauge and push swivel rearward against nut "A".
Run front rod nut "B" against swivel and tighten.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:49:57 PM by firefighter »

Offline jmf

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have done some more research, and it seems that my problem is likely due to a worn range fork in the t case.  Now I have to learn how to replace the range fork.
It seems that it is a fairly common problem for these trucks(at least those with years of wear and abuse) to kick out of gear when you get on the brakes hard, which is exactly what mine does.  This happens because the range fork is worn, which allows for some slop in the t case shifting, the body mounts and motor mounts are worn, and when you get on brakes, the body moves on the frame more than the engine, tranny, and t case do, and all of that is just enough to pull the t case out of gear.
I am hopeful that adjusting the linkage will take up enough of the slop to keep it in gear until I buy and learn how to replace a range fork.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:10 AM »
     Good luck, and if you do decide to change it out, write up a thread in members projects with pics if possible so the rest of us can learn something.  ;D
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »
If you decide to replace the range fork i'd reccomend getting a replacment chain while you are in the case...cheap insurance when you have a lot of miles on it.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
I had my 208 completely apart when i resealed it and checked it all out. Luckilt mine looked good, and now works good.

It shouldn't be an overwhelming task to change that for out. I also agree to have another chain on hand to swap out while you're in there.

A good clean work area, a lot of patience, and some good organizational skills when you tear it apart, they're not that bad.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.