Author Topic: Mutt Project  (Read 200205 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mutt Project
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
Windshield gasket in place, I'm debating if I should just put in the windshield I have sitting upstairs since it's basically brand new or if I should just put a new one in.... I'll figure it out this weekend after I examine it closely.

Got the couch ready to go in too

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fitz

« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »
Looks great as always.
With this project almost complete I'm looking forward to seeing you take on your 75 Blazer.  Is that next?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
Once this one is done I am jumping back on the 74 to finish that up. I needed a break from it but am itching to get it done now. The Blazer will be a fun truck and am looking forward to that build which may be my final build.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
So even though the windshield I had in stock was barely used, it had a scratch so I tossed it. Just put the new one in and the truck has all brand new glass which is nice. The side windows have the green tint, back glass is tinted and windshield is a shaded with antenna glass. All new seals, relay powered power windows and locks, everything works cherry.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
Loving it, don't know why, but I love the blacked out trim on these trucks, just looks better then chrome.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
I love orange and black so when I decided to do orange it just clicked that all of the aluminum and chrome needs to be black. I should name it Garfield.  ;D

So today after the windshield, I went on the hunt through all of my stuff to get the headliner trim and kick panels ready. After selecting pieces from white, grey, blue and black interiors scattered throughout my garage upstairs and in my suburban (shed), I was able to make a full set. I had to steal the back piece from my 74's set so I will need to get another one. Anybody got an extra headliner back trim piece? Cleaned them all up and used this vinyl paint that I had never tried before and I am quite pleased with the final product. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of them. I am putting a highliner in this truck with a drop down bluetooth DVD unit overhead. It also has backup camera so in the dash I am just putting in the stock radio for looks. Once I get the seat in I am going to design the subwoofer enclosures to fit the contour of the back of the cab and into the corner. I can't believe that after all of these years, no one has designed an enclosure that snugly fits back there. That will be a winter beer drinking project.

The wiper switch is toast and the horn contact is missing so I have to fix the column tomorrow as well. I have a complete 86 tilt column upstairs just sitting there so I may just swap the column. We'll see how the day goes I guess.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Looks like I've done a lot since this last update. I did replace the column altogether. Ran all of my wiring for the amp, stereo, accessories, speakers, back up camera, overhead lights and for an additional overhead power supply. I'm using a drop down dvd receiver with back up camera in the highliner and putting the factory radio in the dash mostly just for looks.

I finished with the second skin and then put the padding and carpet it. Here's a great tip for everyone when installing your carpet. Watch this video, trust me this is the best technique ever and oddly satisfying lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpufNiXvQgU&feature=youtu.be

Fitting the carpet

I washed and re-dyed the seat belts with Rit dye. They were already black but had some fading. They came out good so I installed them and put the couch in. It was nice to actually sit in the truck finally as opposed to sitting on a crate. Really made it feel like a truck again.

The next thing I did was redesigned the headlight wiring for a major upgrade. I'll make that my next post, after I get a cup of coffee in me here.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: November 19, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
So one thing I did not find on the forum was anything depicting upgrading the 89-91 quad headlight system, so I drew up a schematic for this system that uses relay power to energize the lamps and additionally turns all 4 headlights on for high beams. The factory setup is weak and only turns on the inner bulbs. I'll post better pictures later but they work very nicely now. I left the camera settings exactly the same to try and get good before and after comparisons.

Factory low beams

Relay powered low beams

Factory high beams

Relay powered high beams

Here is the diagram which can be used for any single filament 4 light system, roll bar lights etc so this should be useful for anyone looking to do this.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #398 on: November 19, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Nice build!  8)

Thank you for the headlamp wiring diagram, I recently installed Hella H1's in my truck and want to run them through a relay so not to melt the factory harness.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I've done a lot of work since last update, highliner, receiver, most of the interior pieces fitted and or installed. I am using the 91 bezel but putting a factory radio in the dash so 3d printed a filler panel. The green one is the test print and then the final. The factory radio will be functional to the dash speakers only. The overhead receiver powers the actual system. Everything works as it should, backup camera works when you put it in reverse. Today I am building sub boxes that will fit in the corners behind the seats. The actual grille I am running is installed (I'll post pics of that later)

and just for fun, a 3d printed Space Armada alien

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »
Are/will you put the headlight update in a tech article?

Lots of good progress on this!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
Thanks, I did put a tech post for it here http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=35890.0

I am making really good progress. Should hit some more strides before the weekend.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #402 on: December 11, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
Stereo system is fully functional and loud :) I built my own speaker boxes out of MDF. I wanted them to fit all the way into the corners, behind the seat without obstruction allowing the seat all the way back and not interfering with the seat belt. I tried them fully sealed and ported. ported sound much clearer so I am just waiting on the tubes to drop in to finalize the boxes.

The true reveal is here of what the mutt really is......

and some additional shots of the interior

and the reveal of the actual grille that will be on the truck which is blacked out chrome

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Got the brake cables done, new shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, grease seals. Replaced the front caliper bushings because they dried out. Bled the brakes and adjusted the parking brake. I have been struggling with what I want to do about wheels. I love the hurricanes but the whole 16.5 dilemma... I have like new 35"s but then what? I think I've looked at every aftermarket wheel in the world 20 times and just don't like anything. I think the hurricanes look sick on this thing. Anyway, I hooked up the backup camera and got that out of the way. Cleaned the garage a bit and drank some gin.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »
Got all of the parts for the exhaust system to start building it. I intended to start Saturday morning but I ended up having to go to a funeral for my buddy's father :( I'll probably wait until next weekend to do anything with it. Need a week off from doing any extra work. Can't wait for Spring! The wheels are at the powder coater as well so not sure when I'll be getting those back.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)