Author Topic: Radiator Swap  (Read 2790 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Radiator Swap
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »
My 78 K-10 has developed a new problem.  The 4 core radiator is cracked around the upper heater hose fitting and is leaking.  I ran a 2 row rad in it before and it had no overheating issues.  Anyway, I was given a radiator from a 1983 El-Camino.  It is also a two row and is the same as my old one other than being two inches narrower.  Can I make this work?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Radiator Swap
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 05:47:00 AM »
Pretty much any radiator will work as long as yuo can mount it tight and have the rubbers under and over it. You might have to use large self tappers and make your own holes for the top mount bracket and move it a bit or use the newer style two bracket set up some how.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
If you don't live in Arizona (heat), or live near mountains (climb) or run A/C, a two row core may work.  I hope you dont tow anything.
First i'd take the four row to a radiator shop and see if they can solder the crack.
I bought a new 4 row core two years ago for $198.00.  

SgtDel

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »
I can do the soldering, just need the truck to dirve in the meantime, but, a gentleman who does radiator repair is going to fix mine tomorrow, so no big deal.  Guess I just have an el camino radiator to store now.