Author Topic: Speedometer cable problem  (Read 1781 times)

Offline 86chevytrk

Speedometer cable problem
« on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
I had the bouncy speedometer issue and replaced both cables. It’s been leaking fluid since so I replaced the filter and gasket as the transmission was pretty low anyway. I checked the cable connection at the tranny and it was loose. I tightened what I thought was good enough. Low and behold more stains on the driveway. When I checked it, it was loose again! I’ve ordered the new seals for it to change those next. My question is can I use blue locktight on the screw cap?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Speedometer cable problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
I wouldn't.  If you haven't already, review Common causes of "bouncy" speedometer needles, paying particular attention to the third and fourth entries.  A concentric groove in the driven gear shaft where the shaft seal rides will cause perpetual leakage.  Make sure the cable doesn't protrude too far from its casing and that the cable end is properly formed for the gear socket.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Speedometer cable problem
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »
i'm going thru this right now with the leak at the speedo sensor;

There is an O-ring for the sender housing itself and an o-ring for the driven gear.   As BD pointed out, if the gear shaft isn't round or otherwise worn, you'll have a leak even if the rings are good.

Will report back later.