Author Topic: Ground strap for instrument gauges.  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Ground strap for instrument gauges.
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm pinning down my ground connection for a 1984 Chevy Stepside. I need to know if there is a factory ground strap for the dash light & interior appliances to left kick panel. If there is, then where is the connection located at the dash light or instrument gauge end? Thanks,Chuck

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Ground strap for instrument gauges.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »
The instrument cluster should have two black wires (circuit 150) exiting the rear of the cluster connector, both of which are ground, both of which attach to the parking brake pedal mounting bracket (see images).  The headlamp switch may have an independent and separate black ground wire that connects between the frame of the headlamp switch and the parking brake pedal mounting bracket (see the images near the bottom of the article, Diagnosing dash instrument lamps).  The courtesy lamp grounds through the door jamb switches and the headlamp switch via white wires.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
 Perfect! Thank you Sir. 

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 05:59:33 AM »
My '75 cluster has one wire that is grounded to the parking brake bracket.  However, its my understanding that at some point GM added a small ground bus (with multiple connection lugs) up under the dash, but that might have been in '87 when they went to fuel injection.

Bruce