Author Topic: factory gauges vs warning lights  (Read 13408 times)

Offline got2haul

• Frequent Member
factory gauges vs warning lights
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:19 AM »
My truck is a Custom Deluxe model that came with dash warning lights rather than gauges.  I'd like to convert the lights to gauges.  I have a set of gauges with factory tach, but the tach is missing the needle, so I can't use it, but I'd like to use the gauges, if possible.

Is it possible to install the individual gauges independent of the printed circuit?  Could they be installed on the old instrument panel plate without using the printed circuit for wiring (wired direct, like individual aftermarket gauges would be)?
1980 Custom Deluxe Stepside
        Stepside thread: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7505.0
1980 Silverado Short Bed Fleetside
1976 GMC Sierra Grande C15

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: factory gauges vs warning lights
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »
Yes you could eliminate the printed circuit and hard wire them in.  It won't be an easy task, but it is doable.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
I would think any needle would work, why not use the fuel needle from your existing cluster. Of course, you'll need the circuit board for the tach cluster, you did not mention if you had that or not.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
I personally like the simplicity of the warning lights and from past experience unless you are constantly monitoring the gauges something could easily go wrong before you notice it where the big red lights come on and tell you right away.  My next project I am starting in the spring is my 86 Custom Deluxe with no options at all, none...  I am converting the 4.3 to a 5.7, the 3 speed stick to a 4 speed Overdrive stick.  I am going to put a good set of gauges to compliment the warning lights.  I might even go crazy and put an AM radio in it...  For most this isn't a big project but I will post it in the project section when I get underway.  If you find out you can use or need wiring and a 85 will work you are welcome to whatever you need off my 85 C-20 Silverado that I am just about done taking stuff I need off of it.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
i do agree....The Red warning light will let u no faster....But the gauges do look better...and how often when driving do u look down? Look down to long and wreck ur truck....But a red light u can see out the corner of ur eye.
1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
I think the biggest caution against using the warning lights rather than gauges is that if the light should burn out you have no way to know if the system is working properly. Also, for instance the temp gauge, by the time the warning light comes on damage could already be done to an engine.
(added) Hey redneckchevy- I used to live just north of Massilon in Canal Fulton. We're old neighbors!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:11:10 AM by DnStClr »
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
In my experience, when a warning light comes on, the damage is already done. I seldom go more than a mile or two without scanning my gauges for anything abnormal..If I see somthing that looks out of the ordinary, I keep a closer eye on it, if it changes for the worse even slightly, I find a place to stop and resolve the problem.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
yea canal fulton is my back yard lol...These are all good points...I would have to say its what u like...cause if a light does burn out ur kinda boned...And u can keep ur eyes on a gage...But every thing has there flaws....

Offline monte85

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »
i've always been told that by the time a warning light comes on, no matter what it is for, you might as well kiss it goodbye. oil, water, etc. they are made to come on at the last possible point. at least with a guage, like one of the other guys said, you can see when the temp starts getting to high, or when the oil pressure drops more than it should. even when the volts drop lower than what you normally would see.
"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
If anything have both. A warning light will direct your attention to your gauges and your gauges will tell you whats wrong.

Offline monte85

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
i wonder if you could rig up a bulb or an l.e.d. kind of like a shift light. so it comes on at a preset point to alert you of the guage reading. hmmmmm......
"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
Piece of cake. Twice the senders though.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
I always maintain the stock oil sender for the light and 'T' in my gauge. Wanted to do the same for temp as well. They must have preset temp sensors for water temp?

Offline monte85

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
okay, so its simpler than i was thinking. i was thinking of using the resistance from the sender to provide voltage to the bulb when it reached a certain resistance. but the more i think about it the more my head starts to hurt.

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Sorry for hi jacking ur post...On the back of the cluster..Going to the temp gage...Is it a wire that goes to main harness or is it a Steel line? that runs to the block? the guy that hacked mine Put in aftermarket steel one...but i want to put stock back in it..And auto zone wont sell just the cable..