Author Topic: Battery cable connection problem  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Battery cable connection problem
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »
Just finished restoring gauge cluster on my 87 R10. When I went to put cables back on, there was
SLIGHT sparking going on as the bolts  made contact into the batt. Yes, the cables are on right.
Everything seems to be working o k . Did notice batt was low. Would that have any effect on
This problem? Haven't put batt back in truck yet as its put up for winter. Did notice lighting in
Dash were not as bright as I thought they should be with new 168 bulbs . Thanks.

Please return this topic as its own to electrical section.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:32:28 PM by Jerr-conn »
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Battery cable connection problem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
Would that have any effect on this problem?

What is "that" and what is "this problem?"

1987 R10's have ECMs that receive constant battery power to support learned memory.  A slight initial arc when reconnecting the battery cables is normal if the cables were disconnected for more than about one minute.  In addition, if the vehicle has a clock or radio with active memory, they will also produce an arc.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Re: Battery cable connection problem
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »
Thanks RIch. I did not know this or ever heard of this. I feel better now. I don't know much
about electricity, so bear with me. You have steered me to a solution many times. Appreciate
It. Everyone is very helpful.      Next project is to polish my alum wheels.
Jerry