Author Topic: VSS on np205 for an ls swap  (Read 23019 times)

Offline Fitzz

VSS on np205 for an ls swap
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
So I'm pretty new to this site and did a search for a vss adapter and found some info. I'm currently doing a 5.3l swap on a 1980 Blazer with sm465 and np205. My question is "Are any of you guys familiar with the vss that speedometer world offers?" I submitted a the website and part number below. I looked at Jags that Run and Dakota Digital offerings. I like this unit because it will keep it in the cab and I won't have to run wires from the transfer case to the computer, just from the speedometer head to the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm#Cable
part number #54MG

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: VSS on np205 for an ls swap
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
I am not familiar with that setup...

Offline Fitzz

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone knew about it. The price seems good and I liked the fact I could still use my mechanical speedometer.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:29 AM »
the problem i see its a 8 pulse sensor. i think you need a 40 like what dakota sells

FROM DAKOTA
igh-Frequency GM-Style Pulse Generator

The missing piece of the increasingly popular early-GM transmission swap!
With late-model GM transmissions containing an internal speed sensor outputting 128,000 Pulses Per Mile, the stock 40-tooth (40 pulse per revolution) reluctor ring provided the factory ECM with a high frequency input. The SEN-01-128 can now recreate this missing high frequency rate when converting to an older style transmission with a mechanical speedometer output.

With a standard female 7/8” thread-on fitting, the SEN-01-128 fits all GM transmissions with a mechanical speedometer cable outlet. Removable weather-tight 10’ cable provides for simple installation and cable routing. 128,000 Pulse Per Mile Sine Wave signal output is direct replacement for the stock GM internal speed sensor, allowing the ECM receive the signals it needs for proper operation.

Fits GM transmission models with 7/8” Male Threading, ie: TH350, TH400, 700r4, 2004r, etc.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=916/prd916.htm

i know its not what you want but i dont want you to buy the wrong thing on your original page look for the #70.

Now if you can reprogram the ecm then you might be able to use that one
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?30589-4-pulse-per-revolution-speed-sensor
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/electronics/sensors.htm
according to them no one make one, im going to keep look for a little

1993-present SFI and Gen III
This sensor will allow you to run a conventional cable drive speedometer and send critical speed data to your GM PCM for proper powertrain operation.
This is a cable-pass-through style speed sensor that can be attached to the Jeep Dana and mechanical New Process transfer case outputs. It generates a usable signal required by modified GM PCM computers from 1993+ trucks to present and 1994+ cars (Vette, Camaro, Caprice), equivalent to 8,000 pulses per mile.
No known aftermarket inline sensors exist to provide the 128,000 pulse per mile (PPM) signal required by these GM PCM's. However, these PCM's can be programmed by your tuner to scale this input signal for proper operation. If you are having your GM Gen. III+ computer programmed by Novak, let us know if you are using this sensor and we'll perform this change at no extra charge.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
read some reviews on those and another company that makes a similar set up to them and some great reviews some not so great. But in question why are you needing a vss? the vss tells the transmission when to shift based off of the vss. On my swap i had to switch to a np241c to mount behind my 5.3/4l70e. as it still is a floor shifted, passenger side drop with vss. can find them in 90-91 k5s and surburbans.

Offline Fitzz

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 02:50:11 AM »
I was under the impression that if at all possible, you should run a vss.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
The ECM will want a VSS signal...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
from what i understand the ecm only needs the speed when you want the ecm to shift the trans. since hes going with a stick he shouldnt need the ecm

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
Agree with irish, But Captkahos has done the ls1/vortec swaps before to. so....

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
Missed the stick shift part.  Don't need it.  Just make sure you have a manual tune in the ECM.

Offline roundhouse

VSS on np205 for an ls swap
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »
JTR makes a 2 pulse VSS

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

But they are slow to ship.   Takes about a month to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline roboticjunky

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »
Vehicle Speed Sensors
The ECM/PCM uses the vehicle’s speed to anticipate driver
demands as well as determine when to engage some output
devices, such as EGR and TCC. The ECM/PCM uses the VSS
input to calculate road speed. In addition, the controller can
calculate the distance the vehicle has traveled by counting the
number of VSS pulses it receives over a predetermined time frame.

ECM (engine control module) don't control the transmission. PCM (powertrain control module) can control the transmission.
1987 V10 Silverado 350 HSR

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:13 PM »
youre being to technical robo  ;D.
but if he uses his pcm is is still a pcm if he doesnt use the bcm or tcu part of the pcm? or does that make his pcm a ecm?
but the egr is only activated once his temp get at a set point his tps is steady and his speed it at the set point. so with out a vss it wont know what speed hes at and shouldnt activate the egr. his tcc wont matter without a auto trans

Offline roboticjunky

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:52 AM »
youre being to technical robo  ;D.
but if he uses his pcm is is still a pcm if he doesnt use the bcm or tcu part of the pcm? or does that make his pcm a ecm?
but the egr is only activated once his temp get at a set point his tps is steady and his speed it at the set point. so with out a vss it wont know what speed hes at and shouldnt activate the egr. his tcc wont matter without a auto trans

Ya, I was being technical. It didn't seem people knew what the VSS was for.

It's still a PCM because it has the ability to control auto trans. He'll have to program the PCM for a manual. He could just delete the EGR system in the PCM if he doesn't want to use it.
1987 V10 Silverado 350 HSR