Author Topic: Rough Country 2" All Spring Lift Experience  (Read 20462 times)

Offline 85K10SB

Rough Country 2" All Spring Lift Experience
« on: March 13, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
Good Morning All,

First, great forum I've been a lurking member for a long time and I've learned a ton from you guys.  So for my first post I was hoping someone on here has experience with the the 4" rought country all sprint lift (SKU 245.20).  I have one on the way for my 85' Short box and my main concern is going too high fpr my tires and having the "ran oUT of money" look ???.  I just mounted 33x12.50 15 BFG/AT KO2's and they measure a true 33".  I intended on only going up 2" but after looking at literally hundreds of pics on the internet 4" is the look I would prefer.  Anyone in here ever run this lift on 33s? Wheelin and work are not a factor as this truck is my summer cruiser and occasional boat hauler...gasp, I know...lol. I'm trying to get a pic up of how my truck sits now, more to follow.  Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:15:49 PM by 85K10SB »

Offline 85K10SB

Re: Rough Country 4" All Spring Lift Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »
Here's how it sits now.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
i run 33s and no lift. dont really go off road but i rub on my steps at least once a day when turning and hit a bump but this is with my k30 and cummins so shes a little heavier in the front than most truck would be. but you should be ok with 2" and definitely ok with 4"

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 85K10SB

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies Irish.  I've never rubbed with 33s on my truck but my previous set measured just under 32".  Hence my desire to lift it with a true 33 on it now.  That and it will flat out look sooooo much better  8) IMHO.  The reason I posted my question was I red in one place that the rough country 4" was actually much closer to 6" than 4".  But I haven't seen that anywhere but one review.  The pics you posted give me confidence that 4" will look perfect with my tires.  Maybe not 35 perfect, but still a good look none the less.  Didn't plan on lifting it when I bought my tires, look at me now...lol

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
lol yeah i hear you. sometimes you have to buy it all at once but sometimes you only have enough for tires and you have to work with them. but next time you need tires you will know. also the rough country is a rough ride the only good thing about them is price.

Offline 85K10SB

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
So I guess they live up to their name...lol!  I wonder if a Tough Country EZ ride would be the way to go then.  Only reason I'm going all spring is if figure the rears are due for replacement being 31 years old.  They flatten out pretty easy when loaded up for a camping trip with the boat in tow.

Offline 85K10SB

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »
The all spring EZ kit is out of my price range at the moment.  Leaning toward block rear 3" kit.  But it doesn't come with a drop steering arm.  Seems to me that a 3" kit would need one...am I wrong on that?

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
Brooke's truck had a 4" lift when she bought it, but the rear had broken leaves. We replaced the rear springs with BD springs. The rear rides nice, the front feels like I-beams. We'll eventually replace the front springs with BD's or Atlas springs. ( I think Atlas makes BD springs) She has the 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrain KO2. We used Skyjacker shocks #H7058 and #H7073
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:18:21 PM by Captain Swampy »
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline enaberif

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
I'll echo what I tell lots of people who ask. Shackle flip in the rear... It will give you 4" of lift but depending on your springs maybe less. Then get a set of Tuff Country springs for the front.

But be warned anytime you add a lift you need a lot more equipment... You are going to need shocks, brake lines, steering arm etc etc.

Offline 85K10SB

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
I'll echo what I tell lots of people who ask. Shackle flip in the rear... It will give you 4" of lift but depending on your springs maybe less. Then get a set of Tuff Country springs for the front.

But be warned anytime you add a lift you need a lot more equipment... You are going to need shocks, brake lines, steering arm etc etc.

I'm not all that familiar with the shackle flip so I will be going with 3" blocks for the rear and 3" Tuff country front springs.  I am also ordering a steering drop for a 4" lift that should do the trick.  Will also get extended brake lines just to be safe.  Shocks are included in the kit.   Might lower the Tcase a bit too, as long as the driveshaft doesn't hit the Y pipe.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 06:55:08 PM »
I don't believe the t-case needs lowering with a 3-4 inch kit. But I suppose you will know once it is lowered.
I have never used a shackle flip but I intend to soon (I think). It looks easy enough and since I need to get under the brackets anyway I might as well put them back on instead of the stock style.

As for buying tires, I was looking the other day for something in the 38 inch range and got serious sticker shock.  :o  When a set of tires costs more than the vehicle they are going on, there is something wrong in the world!
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline enaberif

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »

I'm not all that familiar with the shackle flip so I will be going with 3" blocks for the rear and 3" Tuff country front springs.  I am also ordering a steering drop for a 4" lift that should do the trick.  Will also get extended brake lines just to be safe.  Shocks are included in the kit.   Might lower the Tcase a bit too, as long as the driveshaft doesn't hit the Y pipe.

Shackle flip allows you use your stock springs and give you 4" of lift. All your doing is taking off the rear hangars and replacing them with the shackle flip brackets. Due to the design of the shackle brackets they give you the 4" of lift.

Lift blocks scare me especially anything over 2" and can lead to axle wrap very quickly.

Offline 85K10SB

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 05:32:39 AM »
Well I tried to cancel an order I mistakenly placed for an all spring 2" lift from rough country over the weekend but it already shipped.  The customer service rep was very helpful and said that I can either send it right back for a refund OR I could mount it and see if I like it.  He assured me that installing the lift would not detract from my refund so long as I returned it within 90 days.  I think I might give it a go to see if I like the look.  Before on got on a 4" kick, my intent since I've owned the truck was to go with 2".  I'll post up some pics once it's installed, he said it should be here by Wednesday  (16 Mar).

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »
Well I hope you like the 2" kit bc I doubt you will be inclined to remove it and install another one if you are doing it by yourself. I got mine done in a steep sloped driveway with a few sets of jack stands and 2 Jacks. I still have the t-case drop sitting in the original box from 3 years ago. Either way the ride is gonna be rougher than factory springs so might as well just send the 2" back and only do bit once. If you plan to use the truck off road you won't be disappointed.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart