Author Topic: 84 K30 suspension questions  (Read 7439 times)

Offline getyourownbox42

• New Users
84 K30 suspension questions
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »
Alright, i bought this 1984 k30 long bed last year and been driving it for a while. Due to gas prices i have been trying to sell it over the summer, but have changed my mind and im deciding to keep it and fix it up. The first thing i want to do before the winter is get the suspension done. Right now im fixing the brakes and going thru the dana 60 front. Im planning on going to rear discs in the back and a lift. It needs new brake lines and front driveshaft anyway so im going to replace those after the lift. Im thinking 6-8" of lift with 36-38" tires, nothing insane but eye-catching.

I cant seem to find too many affordable lift kits in the 6-8" range, all i can find are 1/2 - 3/4 ton kits. Would those work on my truck? what is so different between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton kits? If i did find a lift of that size, do i need to do any crazy modifications or just driveshaft with the standard lowering/drop parts? Its got an np-205 and th400 with a 454 if that helps, 14 bolt rear.

???

Offline cracker0169

• Registered Users
    • Myspace
Re: 84 K30 suspension questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
As far as I know, the 3/4 and 1 ton lift kits are heavy duty springs rated for that truck. I purchased my lift from 4 wheel parts and ordered the "value kit" that you see them advertise in Peterson's 4wheel & offroad. They are 6 inch springs from Pro Comp, everything is all pro comp including shocks. I also ordered the braided extended brake lines. You will need a raised steering arm but your driveshafts should be fine with a 6" kit. I am currently running 37" Goodyear MT/R's with no clearance issues. I would suggest some parts from Offroad Design http://offroaddesign.com/. I added the greasable front shackles (alot heavier than stock!) and their disc brake conversion kit. These guys specialize in fullsize Chevys so they are the go to!

My advice, stay away from the block kits for the rear. You will pay a little more for the rear springs, but the benefits out weigh the cost by far. My truck used to have a 4" kit with blocks and if you bumped the gas, the rear pinion would climb probably 3-4", good way to snap a joint especially with a rat motor in front!!!
1981 K10, 350 - SM465 - NP205 sittin' on 37's
1983 C10, 305HO - TH400