Author Topic: Fix My Blazer Job  (Read 21599 times)

Offline chevyh20

into it deep
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
hey here is an update on my blazer , I am into it deep. basically the frame is disassembled in the back i am cutting out all the deformed and badly rusted metal. which has been done already. i am sandblasting all the good remaining metal and will begin to put it back together. right now i am sandblasting.
also i am working on getting the old transmission out. to put in a working unit. this is new to me so it is going slow. Any tips on removing the tranny? Here is a recent pic. the chickens are no help at all!

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: Fix My Blazer Job
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
the chickens are no help at all!

I'm sure they could paint it for you.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline chevyh20

then and now
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
ok,
it has been about a year since i updated this. I gave up last december when the snow started to fly. and i procrastinated over the summer(i have plenty of time). So now i am hastily working on it once again.
I have repaired the frame and sandblasted and painted the frame and underbody. repaired what was wrong from the transmission- back(everything). now i am trying to reassemble it. now i am repairing the exhaust manifold bolts. next is to install transmission, transfercase, gas tank , fuel and brake lines, rearend, brake cable. everything is almost restored and ready to go back in.
i will post pics soon. talk to me about how to remake fuel lines. i have a new sending unit, the braided lines and hard lines need to be replaced due to rust. i need help on this my truck has tbi.
thanks,
jeff

Offline chevyh20

Re: Fix My Blazer Job -picture update
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
Here are some pictures of progress i have made,

body mount and frame repair right side.

body mount and frame repair left side.  (you can see i did not align the new and old very well on this side).

Frame repair right side.

Sandblasted and painted under body and frame from transmission back.

Transmission poised to go in. Installed today.
I will be working on finishing up the transmission and transfer case next.

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
Lookin' good.  Keep it up.
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 06:48:06 AM »
That's a pretty ambitious repair with the body on. Good job.
What part of NH are you in?
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
Hi,
yeah it is, thanks for the encouragement. It started with the tranny going. and i wanted to fix everything that was wrong while i had things apart. the rear frame definitely had to be fixed. you can see how bad it was by the earlier pics. I just put in the transfer case today. next will be all new brake, fuel lines and the Gas tank. i will post some pics of that stuff going in. I am in Dalton NH. It is up north just above littleton.
Jeff

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
Holy cow!!!!! I live in dalton too.

Population 885. What are the odds?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:39:30 PM by thirsty »

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
it's a small world! If you drive Hall rd. you will probably see my blazer sitting in my driveway. If you see me out workin' on it stop by and say hi!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 06:51:09 AM »
I'll have to do that. My truck is in Whitefield.

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
Just wanted to give a little progress report. Since my last post, I have: Installed all new brake and fuel lines, transmission and transfer case are in; fuel tank is in, exhaust has been fitted and welded. everything is new or restored. i figure the original parts lasted 20+ years , if my work can last 10 i will be tickled. currently finishing up some odds and ends. Next: install transmission mount x-member, finalize exhaust, and finally rearend and driveshafts.
Note on the exhaust. I purchased a hooker dual exhaust tubeset and mufflers designed for this truck...but it came with generic instructions, not indicating optimal tube positions, so i did the best i could. i am a little concerned with the right side passing close to fuel lines and underbody. but like i said, i tried my best shade tree mechanics.
I can't wait to start it , she hasn't run in over a year....

Offline captain carnage

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Congrats, I bet you are excited ;D Make sure you get some finalized pics!
Multiple chevys = neverending projects

Offline chevyh20

Re: Fix My Blazer Job -it is running!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »
hey all ,
Just started my blazer after more than a year.  apparently she has been waiting for this. 3 shots of ether to get the fuel through the new fuel lines and it was a go! started like it was a warm summer day in January (slight exaggeration) . but really, she is purring. Will be rolling soon. Still have to put the rear end in and get fluid through the new brake lines and we will be mobile. pictures will be updated soon. definitely made my day to get her running.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
How exciting!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Way to go!