Author Topic: Help with wipers  (Read 9982 times)

Offline JJSZABO

Help with wipers
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »
I need some help.  As some of you know I rewired my sons truck with a painless wiring harness.  Did I tell you I HATE WIRING!!

Here is my problem.  It is two fold.  First the wipers work on Low and Fast and park when you turn off the switch.  The washer works fine also.  When the wipers are wiping, they will just stop after a while restart.  Any suggestions?

The second problem is I installed a new rebuilt steering column from 
http://www.gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com/index.html and it came with delayed wipers.  But I can only get the delay to work on the setting next to LOW on the switch.  It will not delay on any other setting.  Any suggestions?  I already tried two other delay modules and is still doing the same thing.

I installed a rebuilt wiper motor from Advanced Auto when I was rebuilding this truck.  The wiper ground circuit is tied directly to the negitive ground lead on the battery with 10 gauge wire (I thought it might be a ground problem).

I am suspecting the wiper motor for the stop condition and the wiper switch for the delay trouble.  I would like some other input before I start diagnosing this thing.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:37:25 AM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline JJSZABO

Re: Help with wipers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
Hmmmmm......

Am I left to figure this out myself  :'(

There goes another multi-meter :P
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:33 PM »
Sorry Jeff, None of what you describe sparks any nuerons. I am at a loss.

maybe the park circuit is getting a signal at the same time as high and low... and that makes it do what it does when it parks then go right back to running.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:47:05 PM »
Thank you CC

Shoot...i've explained it wrong. 

Picture it running and you are driving along and the wipers just quit.  When they quit, they don't park.  They just stop where they are (for various times, say two seconds to one minute) then start up again from when they stopped.

I am thinking wiper motor trying to draw too many amps and overheats and stops?  This is how I burned up my multi meter by using it in parallel instead of serial.  I knew better - just had a momentary laps of reason.

This problem has me stumped.  I rewired my ground direct to the battery thinking it was a ground problem.  I've wired in "newer", cleaner harness connectors to the motor thinking the connections were corroded and that may have been the problem.  I've removed the delay wiper module and went direct connect and the problem is still there so I have ruled out the delay module for this problem.

The only thing left is the remanufactured motor or the wiper switch located in the column.  I need any fresh ideas on this.  I need to do a current draw test on the motor - yes?  What is considered a high amp draw - anything over 5 amps?  Anyone?
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
I was going to say ground or short, how "new" is the wiper motor, is it for delay?

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
It is a remanufactured Cardone wiper motor (part number 40182) I bought when I was wiring the truck up.  It was bought on 11/19/2007 but has just recently been put into service.  My son started to drive the truck in September of 2008 and during the first rain is when we found the problem.

No Chris, the wiper motor is not for delay operation.  I was told I didn't need anything but the delay wiper switch with the delay module to have delayed wipers.  Is this correct?

Looking on Autozones web site, this wiper motor (part number 40182) is what is required for both this truck and the 1991 R1500 Suburban - and I know the Suburban has delayed wipers.

After reading the GM repair manual for this system, I think this is going to turn out to be a bad wiper motor and either a loose or faulty wiper switch. 

For the delay wipers, the shop manual says to check the resistance on the brown to brown wire terminals on the wiper switch harness.  I should either read 0-20 ohms minimum or 200K ohms max.
My meter reads an open circuit >:(

How hard is it to replace the wiper switch inside the column?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:57:59 PM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline infamouschevy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
i have a problem with my wipers every time i turn my truck on the wipers turn on can anny1 tell me why
infamous chevy

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
i have a problem with my wipers every time i turn my truck on the wipers turn on can anny1 tell me why

The procedure for "Wiper Will Not Shut Off"

Ignition switch is on - wiper switch is in the off position.  Disconnect the wiring from the wiper terminals 4 and 3.

If the wiper stops:  Repair the wiper motor (replace the park switch Assy)
If Wiper still runs continue on

Remove wiring from wiper terminal 19, 18, 17 connect 12v + to wiper terminal 19 only

If wiper doesn't run:  locate and repair the ground condition in the wires from the wiper terminals 18 or 17 to the wiper switch.
If the wiper still runs:  Repair the wiper motor (look for internal Ground condition in LO or HI Brushes)

If it says repair motor - I would just replace it.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »
Ok most likely you need to replace the motor. Without actually testing it I can't tell you that's it 100% but that is usually what causes what you've described. The switches rarely go bad in comparisson.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »
Thanks Vile  ;D

I was thinking the same about the motor.  I really don't want to tear into the steering column if I don't have to.  Thanks for your advice. ;D
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline JJSZABO

UPDATE 12/15/2008
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »
Well I installed a new Cardon Remanufactured (warrenty exchange) motor yesterday.  Everything went smooth with the install except two new paint chips >:(  It seems no matter how careful you are, the paint gets chipped.

The "new" motor works soooo much better, much stronger.  There is actually a huge difference between LO and HI now.  I think this cured my first problem.  I will know more this week when my son drives the truck.  It is suppose to rain all this week.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  The wiper delay problem is still there - I think this is the wiper switch.  I am leaving that problem go for now.

Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
Have you replaced the delay module with a new one or used one?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
three used ones

I've cleaned out our local junk yard of delay modules  :D

All three do the same thing.

I have one delay setting working.  That is the highest delayed setting right next to LO.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Looks as if the replacement wiper motor fixed the problem with wipers stopping in mid-swipe.  Now to see about the delay issue....... ::)
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400