Author Topic: '82 K10 possible Edelbrock carb problem...won't stay running. Help please  (Read 4293 times)

Offline fixits

Hey guys:

Searched the site to try and find some answers for my problem but can't seem to find a solution. Here is the deal:

1982 K10
Stock 305 internals
Edelbrock Performer manifold/adapter (non phenolic) and 1406 (600 cfm) carb
Headers
Stock HEI
Stock mechanical fuel pump
No vac leaks that I can detect
Timing at 8 degrees

This truck belongs to my 17yo  daughter and is her daily driver. It will start and run beautifully but on occasion when she drives it, shuts it off for several minutes up to an hr or so and restarts truck will start fine but then just die. Tries to restart and sometimes successful, stumbles and smokes but will clean up and run. Now more often than not it will not restart, it will catch and run for a sec but instantly dies. You can crank until the bat dies and nothing. Starter fluid has no affect. Come back and start the next morning and runs like a champ, can rev it up in the driveway and no sputter, smoke or pop. Only happens when it gets warm. The truck in not overheating.

I am fortunate that I have finally been able to duplicate the situation at home were I can now hopefully repair the problem. To duplicate I start it and let it idle for 20 minutes or so, hop it it and rev it up so the secondaries  open, do this a couple of times and it will come down, idle for 1 or 2 seconds and then sounds like the ignition get turned off. No pop or smoke..just shuts down. Try to restart and it will catch for a sec then die..then, again I can crank forever without any success.

In this condition I have pulled the fuel line and there plenty of pressure so I know the carb is getting fuel. I am assuming its getting spark (won't know for sure until someone comes home crank the engine while I check) because it will catch and sputter.

My first guess is that it is a float issue and that its sinking when it gets warm.
Second guess is maybe ignition but I figured the module is either going to work, or not work and not be schizophrenic.

Do you guys think I'm looking in the right direction or do you have any suggestions before I start tearing this thing apart? Not looking for the easy way out, just don't trust my diagnostic skills.

Thanks guys.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: '82 K10 possible Edelbrock carb problem...won't stay running. Help please
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
Check for spark.  Your description suggests the distributor pick-up coil and/or module.  Also, check the cap and rotor. 

If you have a heavy float, you'll likely see fuel dripping from the main nozzles at idle and with the engine first shut off.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
i think its the module.... seen it happen before... consider rebuilding the distributor... they sell the rebuild kit at summit racing for about 70 dollars i think and its like getting a brand new distributor.... thats what i did... and no regrets... new cap, module, springs, everything is included...

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
Definetly the module. Had a similar problem with a '91 Chevy K10; Ran great on startup, but sputtered and died when it hit operating temperature. Swapped the module and it solved the problem immediately.
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline fixits

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
You guys are right on. No spark.

Rather than try and trouble shoot the module/pickup or coil I just went ahead and put a new HEI into the truck. Fired right up and runs great. Got it hot, tried to abuse it while the kid was in school ;) and can't get it to quit.

Thank for the input and glad I wrong. Guess I was over thinking things as usual.

Cheers.....