Author Topic: Ground up 86 4x4  (Read 157706 times)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Ground up 86 4x4
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
      Lets hope it does not leak, or fall out going down the road either.  With neither of those happening, some time down the road if you ever have to replace it, the second time around it should be easier.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
Well I had some issues with the start up but I managed to get it. The only video that came out acceptable was one with a fouled plug from all the mystery oil I put to it before starting it. It runs better now but here is proof that it did fire up. To bad it's a video of a 7 cylinder 350.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
     So you got it to fire on all 8 ?  That has got to feel great and like you got a step in the right direction, I want to work on mine but with my job and house hunting it has been put on the back burner for now.  I guess I will have to live through everyone else right now.  Great job Thirsty, keep up the great work.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
     So you got it to fire on all 8 ?
I planned on new plugs but not until after I fired it and blew what was left of the mystery oil out. The one plug that fouled was self inflicted. I had it all set to go then decided to connect my new temp sender wire. I pulled #1 wire so I could get to the sender easier. I found later that I didn't have it on all the way after I had started it once. Put another one in and it was an 8 cylinder again. I still need to rebuild the carb or at least try to adjust it some after I put some exhaust on it. It's way too loud to work on it with open headers. It ran rich when I got the motor and have not done anything about it yet.

This was definately a step in the right direction. I sometimes use our garage for some of my income and having an immobile lifted chevy in there all the time makes it hard. The more stuff that got installed on the truck, the harder it was to push back into the garage if I needed to take it out for any reason. Making it move under it's own power will be so much easier on me. And it might even make a little trip up and down the street just because it can!  ;D

I want to work on mine but with my job and house hunting it has been put on the back burner for now.  I guess I will have to live through everyone else right now.
Make sure your new house has a nice garage so we can see that 74 come together!

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »

I want to work on mine but with my job and house hunting it has been put on the back burner for now.  I guess I will have to live through everyone else right now.
Make sure your new house has a nice garage so we can see that 74 come together!
[/quote]

I have already been over this with my wife, it has to have a shop on it or I take over the garage.  (she hates to have her car parked outside, so I will win on this one  ;D).  We went and looked at some today, the one that I want is still for sale, got about 4 months before I can actually buy, but it looks promising, it has a shop separated from the house all set up already, nice and big.
     We shall see, then I will have to make sure I don't stay in the shop all the time, I know from experience that is not good.  :-\
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
I reached a milestone with my truck today! I drove it out of the garage under it's own power. Usually I push it out using wheel chocks to keep it from getting away from me before I crank the wheel and pull it out of the way with my daily driver. Then to put it back in I had to push it back, straighten the wheels and use chains and a come-a-long to get it back in the garage. Today though I just backed it out and parked it off to the side. Open headers still too. ;D

The other updates are small but significant. The brakes are all on and in working order. I screwed myself on the rear wheel cylinders. They were brand new when I took it apart. I never thought about moisture getting into them while in storage. They leaked terribly so I took them apart and tried to fix them. One just wouldn't stop leaking so I replaced them both. I should have known better.
The carburetor was a mess really. I stopped messing around with that too and bought a kit for it. Now all it needs is for the carb to be fine tuned and timed correctly.

Just being able to back it out of the garage so I could use that bay for some work today really made my day. Next is some temporary exhaust at least so I can tune it without all the neighbors within a quarter mile hearing it. :o

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Now this is good news to sign on to. A milestone indeed thirsty !!!    8)

I know all too well how big of a step this is. I'm at the same point and it's so nice to know that I could walk in the shop 2 minutes from now and be backing the truck out.
After all the work we've both done, it's really cool that we both were able to drive our trucks out of the shop under their own power within 3 days of each other.

It's good to hear your motor is running good after the lock up problem and carb issue. You've got to be feeling good about that !!

Keep up the good work thirsty and I look forward to future updates.

Offline gto109

• Frequent Member
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
Open headers on a good tuned motor sounds so good.  good to here your getting it almost finished.
67 Le Mans Convertible resto project 350 Pontiac w/powerglide,
85 Scottsdale k-10 305 700r4,
86 Trans Am 305 350th
06 Dodge Ram daily driver

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
hows the truck coming?
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
It's like a bottle of fine wine...I got it in the garage maturing before I open it up. ;D

Seriously though, It's waiting again until I can justify spending money on it. I didn't give up or forget about it. I'll post up the things that have been done and what's next soon.
Thanks for remembering the ole 86 87454westernhauler.

Offline bluecrew

« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2012, 08:15:24 AM »
Wow, one -_- build thread!  I'll be watching this one.  Just read the whole thing, impressive!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
WOW! This guy needs to get going on that truck again and update this thread.

I just looked for some pictures I had in this thread for another member and realized how long it has been since I have done anything post-worthy to the truck.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
WOW! This guy needs to get going on that truck again and update this thread.

I just looked for some pictures I had in this thread for another member and realized how long it has been since I have done anything post-worthy to the truck.

If that is the case I must be in real trouble, I haven't been able to touch my truck since the begging of the year.   >:(
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline gto109

• Frequent Member
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
I am in trouble as well.  Mine has been sitting since March untouched other then minor issues.
67 Le Mans Convertible resto project 350 Pontiac w/powerglide,
85 Scottsdale k-10 305 700r4,
86 Trans Am 305 350th
06 Dodge Ram daily driver

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
Ditto!   :-[
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)