Author Topic: Ground up 86 4x4  (Read 156587 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ground up 86 4x4
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
Sweet!!!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »
     Thirsty, now that looks like a truck.  ;D  I can't wait to see it together and all one color, I have my guesses on what it will look like with the orange, but I will hold off for photo proof.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »
Saturday night not a wrench got turned! We did however discuss wrenches, trucks, daughters, wives, and my build at the weekly Suitor's Garage board meeting.

This is the result.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
Saturday night not a wrench got turned! We did however discuss wrenches, trucks, daughters, wives, and my build at the weekly Suitor's Garage board meeting.

Ha Ha !!!!
Sometimes a guy just needs a break from skinning his knuckles to reflect on his progress.     :)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
Tomorrow night (hopefully) we are building the rearend!

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »
Tomorrow night (hopefully) we are building the rearend!

Talk to me Goose, I don't understand.

Every picture I've seen here recently shows a completed rearend, doesn't it?
What exactly are you doing?

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
While I was working on it years ago when it was still mobile I used to be able to drive it in and out of the shop. One Saturday me and my son worked on his truck all day and I was going to put it back in. Then the budweiser took hold and I ended up doing a brake stand in front of the garage. One too many brake stands I suppose. The spider gears took a crap. Then I found that the cage in the 10 bolt was deformed where the pin goes thru. I've had the parts for a couple of years just never fixed it. I don't have the tools to set it up but have a friend that does and it is easier to do it here than take it to his shop.

Then I can finish the brakes!

This has been sitting on my bench for 2 years... ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:06:18 PM by thirsty »

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Quote from: thirsty
Then the budweiser took hold and I ended up doing a brake stand in front of the garage.

I totally understood at this point.   ;D
Enuf said.
Hope you get it done!!

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »
well i guess now is as good of time as any to rebuild the rear end!!!!
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
The other night we finally got together and set up the little 10 bolt.  :) I'm glad it's done finally. I hate having something hanging over my head that I can't do myself. Well I probably could have got it done without help but now I won't be wondering if I did it correctly. If I didn't mention it before, I got the carrier out of a 10 bolt front end. Same part numbers. Price was right too...Free.

I never thought that I would forget how to put something together on this truck.  :o I had to really think about the rear brakes when I went to put them on. Ended up doing a dry run inside the drum to figure it out...haha

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Maybe this will help  -It's the drivers side too btw
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
Appreciate it Vile. I did get it done the last night. It was not like I took it apart recently like I was changing brakes. I had the brakes all off it and in a box. Was thinking..."tonight I'm gonna put my rear brakes on. That will be easy." Got everything out and realized I didn't remember how all the springs went. It was easier to lay it out in the drum and figure out the puzzle. Normally it would take 5 or 10 minutes to assemble the brake components onto the backing plate. First one took me 30 minutes or so to get on there. Needless to say I was not the garage hero last night. In my defense though, I did figure it out.  ;D

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »
      I feel your pain thirsty, when I did my front and rear end, I had everything apart for only 1 month.  I decided it was better if I went and looked up a diagram then have to take it apart again.
     I always say, if you have reference material use them, that is what they are there for.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline gto109

• Frequent Member
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
Thirsty I  must say you have more patience then I do.  Mine isn't road legal yet and I already have it muddy.  I think this is the first time I've gone and read the whole thread as well.  Your trucks is coming along very nice.   I seen you have a broke headlight surround if you want I have a set I can send your way.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:09:23 PM by gto109 »
67 Le Mans Convertible resto project 350 Pontiac w/powerglide,
85 Scottsdale k-10 305 700r4,
86 Trans Am 305 350th
06 Dodge Ram daily driver

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
Yesterday we installed the windshield. I had Capt. get me a gasket. I had heard of so many people getting junk gaskets from about every company out there. When it comes to something like that I could not have a piece of junk so I left it in the hands of Capt. As usual he came through with a quality part. The gasket fit very well. That also made it a little hard to get it together. It was a lot more work than I had planned but wasn't too terrible either. I have changed a windshield in the past using the old gasket but never used a brand new gasket before. It makes it a little harder but it was worth it.

My nephew was in town to give me a hand with it. Started with the usual practice of cleaning.

Installed the gasket on the truck. This gasket was such a tight fit that we had to use a mallet to get it fully seated everywhere. I've heard too many times that the gaskets people bought were too big. Not the case with this gasket, it was the right size but you had to force it into the corners all the way.

So far everything is going as planned.

We got to this point before we really started to struggle.

Then right on cue one of our friends stopped by that just happens to be an old school body man.

It just took a little more force than I was applying before to get it in. I had more confidence with Kevin there to help.

Working in the self locking strip on the gasket was the most tedious part.

After the locking strip was in all the way around it was time for a beer! I would be very surprised if this ever leaks. Let's hope, I wouldn't want to do it again.