Author Topic: 350 TBI Performance Options?  (Read 29013 times)

Offline Tony_SS

350 TBI Performance Options?
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
I have a GM crate 350 with TBI setup.

What are some fairly simple upgrades get a few more ponies and torque out of it?
1986 Silverado SWB 2WD
350 TBI / 700-R4

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: 350 TBI Performance Options?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
Can you elaborate on you specific set up?  What crate?  The universal Goodwrench 350 or Goodwrench L05 replacement?

In any case a nice free flowing exhaust is always a good place to start.  Quality headers, 2.5" dual pipes,  h-pipe or x-pipe, high flow cats (if you need cats), and magnaflow or dynomax ultraflo mufflers.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Tony_SS

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
I dont know.. I think it might be a universal Goodwrench 350. It has centerbolt valve covers too. I need to run some numbers.

Outside of the exhaust.. what else, to the TBI, engine or programming?
1986 Silverado SWB 2WD
350 TBI / 700-R4

Offline Tony_SS

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
Wow, thanks jimbo, that ought to keep me busy for awhile!
1986 Silverado SWB 2WD
350 TBI / 700-R4

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot my favorite source for parts:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=tbi&dds=1

A friend of mine swears by the "salad bowl" on his tbi z71.:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HYP-4001/

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
Biggest restriction  for TBI engine is the HEADS.. you can put all the exhaust in the world on it, they heads will still not flow.you can see the ramp blocks half the port.

Compared to a regular heads intake port..
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »
Biggest restriction  for TBI engine is the HEADS.. you can put all the exhaust in the world on it, they heads will still not flow.

...but at least everything downstream of the heads will.

It's understood that TBI heads' flow numbers suck.  But a full exhaust can net 25 hp or so without touching the heads.  And if you do decide to replace the heads with higher performing units, it becomes even more crucial to relieve restriction downstream at the same time.  So, cutting exhaust system losses at an early stage in a performance build makes good sense.

He didn't specify how much power he was looking for, but he did say he was looking for some "fairly simple upgrades."  I don't think head swap or extensive head porting falls into that category.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
I've done headers and exhaust on LO5's...It doesn't help.if you can't get more air in, you don't have to worry about getting it out.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
I've done headers and exhaust on LO5's...It doesn't help.if you can't get more air in, you don't have to worry about getting it out.
You must be kidding with the "it doesn't help", bit.  Just because the gains aren't as large as some other applications doesn't mean that every dyno in the world won't disagree with that, lol.

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
Biggest restriction  for TBI engine is the HEADS.. you can put all the exhaust in the world on it, they heads will still not flow.

It's understood that TBI heads' flow numbers suck.  But a full exhaust can net 25 hp or so without touching the heads.  And if you do decide to replace the heads with higher performing units, it becomes even more crucial to relieve restriction downstream at the same time.  So, cutting exhaust system losses at an early stage in a performance build makes good sense.

He didn't specify how much power he was looking for, but he did say he was looking for some "fairly simple upgrades."  I don't think head swap or extensive head porting falls into that category.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Offline chevymotocross

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »
There are a few options. I agree that bolt-ons help a good amount (headers, exhaust, tbi mods, spacer intake, etc), but the main weakness, atleast of the L05 350 and L03 305, are the heads and cam. Of course these can be changed, but now you run into tuning problems. Your best bet is to either learn to tune and data log yourself, find a good tuner who knows TBI, or, forget the TBI altogether and get a carb.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:11:50 PM by chevymotocross »
1987 Chevy Silverado 2wd SWB: 305 TBI, 700r4, dual exhaust, tbi mods, k&n filter, belltech sway bar

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
Tuning a tbi is cake
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »

Well all I can say is enjoy flushing your money down the toilet. I've only been hopping up carsand engines for 20years.. Sorry if my experience doesn't hold enough water for you.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:40:52 AM »

Well all I can say is enjoy flushing your money down the toilet. I've only been hopping up carsand engines for 20years.. Sorry if my experience doesn't hold enough water for you.

No problem, its difficult to make any unfounded theory, that can be proven wrong in one attempt, not leak like a sieve.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:46:15 AM by jimbo »