Author Topic: Rebuilt tbi now pouring gas  (Read 3717 times)

Offline justin71105

Rebuilt tbi now pouring gas
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
I rebuilt my tbi last week and replaced the map sensor and plug and O2 and plug.  Now that I have everything back togethor my left injector just dumps gas out and my right one does nothing.  Even with both injectors unplugged I am getting a ton of gas coming out of the left injector.

I pulled the top apart to make sure my injector O-rings and metal gaskets were sealed and that the filter and O-ring on the bottom were good and they both were.  Pulled the fpr apart to see if there was a tear in the rubber gasket and their was not.

What else should I be looking at??
1964 C10

Offline justin71105

Re: Rebuilt tbi now pouring gas
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
Forgot to mention I also replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs today before putting the Throttle body back on and seeing it pour fuel out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:10:23 PM by justin71105 »
1964 C10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
 Look closely with a mirror and see where it sprays out from
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline justin71105

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
It comes out of the left injector pod, here is a video of it.  I pulled both injectors out and they both have the large rubber O-rings and metal gaskets, and both have filters and O-rings at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyWsXOjm2D8

Same thing happens whether I have either injector plugged in or both unplugged or both plugged in.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:35:54 PM by justin71105 »
1964 C10

Offline justin71105

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »
I swapped the injectors around and the same injector pours gas on the right side, guessing it is stuck open.  Knocked it a little bit to see if I could un-seize it but still pours fuel.
1964 C10

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
It looks like something got in the injector. We got BWD injectors for Brooke's truck, needed 3 to get 2 working ones, maybe try a different brand. I like Standard Motor Products. Part #TJ7 $58 on Rock Auto.

Plug the harness into a noid light, the light will flash while cranking.

You might want to clean or replace the IAC (idle air control) once you get the injectors working.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:12:10 PM by Captain Swampy »
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline justin71105

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:19:08 PM »
It looks like something got in the injector. We got BWD injectors for Brooke's truck, needed 3 to get 2 working ones, maybe try a different brand. I like Standard Motor Products. Part #TJ7 $58 on Rock Auto.

Plug the harness into a noid light, the light will flash while cranking.

You might want to clean or replace the IAC (idle air control) once you get the injectors working.

I ordered a one off of Rock Auto, should be here Saturday and I can try it out.  Going to pick up a noid light from a buddy Saturday if the injector doesn't fix it.

I ordered a new IAC through rock auto to go with my tune up but it would not thread in properly so I cleaned the old one and reused it.
1964 C10

Offline justin71105

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
So I got the new injector in today and put it in, same issue pouring gas out of this injector as well.  Noticed that the injectors had 2 different o rings on the bottom by the filter.  So I put went and bought another rebuild kit and swapped threw it on.

The injector is no longer pouring gas, however the truck will not idle on its own, going to try and locate the vacuum line guide for my truck.  I know the map sensor was not plugged in and the vacuum was plugged when I got it and the O2 sensor was unplugged.  However I replaced both sensors and the plug on map sensor, so I want to try and have them plugged in.  I did unplug the positive side of the battery for around 10 minutes just in case the ecm needed to relearn having the sensors plugged in, just dont remember were all the vacuum lines attatch to the throttle body now.

I have map line going to back of throttle body between supply and return fuel lines.  Pcv valve line is going to the front of the throttle body between the two smaller nipples.  The canister is going to the right nipple when looking from the front.  I have one side of the EGR sol. going to the left nipple and the other EGR sol. going to the  EGR valve.  The EGR sol vent is plugged off by previous owner don't know if it needs to be unplugged.

Update:

Got it going, the egr sol. vacuum lines were pretty much all in the wrong spots.  Running like it should now with a lot more power than before the tune up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:01:32 PM by justin71105 »
1964 C10

Offline 79 Royal Sierra

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
Im glad you got her going good bud. This stuff can be over whelming. My 79 is carb, but I just bought a 90 Camaro RS with the TBI 305, that doesnt run due to a bad fuel pump. PO is a friend of mine and he said that he replaced the fuel pump but no go. I hope I dont end up chasing my tail on all the sensors and TBI. Good luck and God Bless

Offline justin71105

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 06:00:45 PM »
So I got the new injector in today and put it in, same issue pouring gas out of this injector as well.  Noticed that the injectors had 2 different o rings on the bottom by the filter.  So I put went and bought another rebuild kit and swapped threw it on.

The injector is no longer pouring gas, however the truck will not idle on its own, going to try and locate the vacuum line guide for my truck.  I know the map sensor was not plugged in and the vacuum was plugged when I got it and the O2 sensor was unplugged.  However I replaced both sensors and the plug on map sensor, so I want to try and have them plugged in.  I did unplug the positive side of the battery for around 10 minutes just in case the ecm needed to relearn having the sensors plugged in, just dont remember were all the vacuum lines attatch to the throttle body now.

I have map line going to back of throttle body between supply and return fuel lines.  Pcv valve line is going to the front of the throttle body between the two smaller nipples.  The canister is going to the right nipple when looking from the front.  I have one side of the EGR sol. going to the left nipple and the other EGR sol. going to the  EGR valve.  The EGR sol vent is plugged off by previous owner don't know if it needs to be unplugged.

Update:

Got it going, the egr sol. vacuum lines were pretty much all in the wrong spots.  Running like it should now with a lot more power than before the tune up.

Guess I shouldn't have counted my chickens, it ran good in the driveway reving.  however I was not able to take it out for a drive until today, it is driving like it has a miss under throttle.  Going to check to make sure all my plugs are connected tomorrow and do the IAC and TPS resets which I forgot to do.  Hopefully this will clear it up.

1964 C10