Author Topic: Which speaker setup would work best for my simple needs?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline ih8vols

Which speaker setup would work best for my simple needs?
« on: September 28, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »

I have a 79 stepside. I just want to be able to listen to the radio on occasion. I have a custom exhaust that has some noise but nothing over the top. I'm not looking for anything crazy on my radio setup.

I upgraded the radio to the one in the link. Right now, I just have a couple 3" speakers mounted to a metal plate in the top of the dash.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do to upgrade because I'm not able to hear much with the two small speakers.

Should I keep the 2 in dash, add a set of kick panels with speakers and 6x9's mounted behind the seat?

Or would it be better to go with one of those headliners that have the speakers built in? I've never been able to see them in person to see how well they work. 

Would appreciate any feedback.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X4800BT

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Which speaker setup would work best for my simple needs?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
Pioneer SUPER TUNER! Great feature, the first one I bought had a 8 track, but I could tune in the best LA stations like they were local!

The amp section on this is not going to cut it. Probably why it's so reasonably priced, given all the features.

It has RCA outputs, so buy a outboard amp that is at least 100 watts per channel. REMEMBER: the more amperage you can afford the better, and NOT for loud sound, but for control of the speakers.

So the 3" are kind of small to deliver mid range, and no bass.

I would add two 6" speakers to the kicks, and woofer behind the seat.

Using a 6x9 behind the seat kills all mid range and higsh freq's. If you leave them, the unintelligible noise will escape into the cab and really clash with the clean sound.

But If that's what you have (6x9), short of buying new, use a cross/over for those two that only passes bass and eliminates the rest.

I have seen some pretty good 6x9 corner boxes. Add sound deadener and insulation inside the box. That will keep the bass tight and not muddy.

This is my wheelhouse if you need more info. Sounds like fun!!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
Keep the factory radio, install a bluetooth amplifier. Dash speakers, behind the seat, under the seat and overhead highliner allow for an "uncut" cab. Kick panel speakers interfere with the ebrake mechanism to some extent depending on which ones you get.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 06:10:53 PM »
The '80 C10 I'm on has 6x9's cut into the lower side of each door. What a Maroon!

I'm going to use the holes for subwoofers after I deaden the doors.

Regarding the kicks, are you talking about the preformed kicks that aim the drivers upward? I can see that happening.

Is there room behind the flat kicks? I can't remember... :-[
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline the.marvolus.1

• New Users
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »
If you've ever installed a stereo system in a vehicle before your options are only limited by space in these trucks. Im going for a "drown out the motor setup" as I'm going with true duel straight pipes for my 450+hp (fingers crossed ) 383 stroker I'm rebuilding. I've got the 4x10s in the original spot and since I did an a/c delete, I modified the middle of the dash to hold 2-5x7s comfortably. All the cutting, bending and grinding only took an afternoon to complete. Finally there's 2-12s and a 1200w amplifier behind the seat. I customized the 2 small pickup speaker boxes by adding a 3.5in tube between them for more air. All said and done, it cost me around $250. I will mention that I got absolutely hooked up with some brand new 15 year old equipment (ex RadioShack employee discount )! Those pioneer speaker box things are pretty good too, I had one in a mixer truck awhile back.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk