Author Topic: Electric window loud noises, stuck sometimes  (Read 1910 times)

Offline juancano

Electric window loud noises, stuck sometimes
« on: April 05, 2022, 09:42:30 AM »
Howdy. 86 c10 with electric windows. Last spring I installed the   relays because the windows were dragging to come up. Yesterday the passenger side window started making a loud 'chak chak chak' noise when it made it all the way up. It came down, went up again and made the noise when it closed (like the motor is still pushing it or something). This morning I put the window down halfway and then it wouldn't go up, it would just make the chak chak chak noise. I got out of the car and managed to guide it up while using the window control. Made the chak chak noise when it made it up.

a) Window is somehow off the rails and it is getting stuck going up
b) The actual motor is starting to go bad
c) Something broke??

Just want to have an inkling before I open it up and spend 2 weeks trying everything I can think of.

Any ideas appreciated.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric window loud noises, stuck sometimes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 11:02:54 AM »
Check the gear teeth on the motor pinion and regulator.  The regulator's teeth are probably stripped.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline juancano

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 01:02:40 PM »
Ahh! Thank you, that is a great start.

Offline juancano

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
BTW, from reading up on it, the only way to check the gear teeth in the motor is taking it all apart? There is no cheat to see the teeth is there?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 06:41:10 PM »
The motor contains a nylon worm gear hidden internally behind the pinion gear, out of sight, and the exposed metal pinion gear that engages the regulator gear teeth.  The exposed pinion gear can be examined directly by removing the motor from the regulator.  But be careful when separating the motor from the regulator.  If the regulator isn't securely clamped and caged beforehand, its spring can unload causing a sudden shift and rotation of the regulator's arm that can sever fingers.  Any of the gears can fail, but the most common failure is the regulator gear.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline buzzman351

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 07:37:11 AM »
is it possible to add just one relay to the up movement on the window motor. there is no issue going down

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 10:45:18 AM »
Start by cleaning and lubricating the window mechanism and glass channels then check channel alignment to make sure the glass isn't binding.  Once the 'mechanicals' are verified in good working order, check voltage drops across the switches and wiring.
Rich

Offline buzzman351

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 10:09:29 AM »
i completed all of the troubleshooting steps. i built a relay harness and i am going to install it tonight. should i go directly to the battery or is there another location