Author Topic: 78 Scottsdale 2wd  (Read 6207 times)

Offline bustindailey

78 Scottsdale 2wd
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:54:41 PM »
I found a 1978 Scottsdale earlier this year. Here is the story, with some progress posts to follow:

The truck was purchased new at a local chevrolet dealership. Optioned with the 350, automatic, rally wheels, and air conditioning.

The same fella had the truck until about 1999-2000. He took the truck to a local body shop, after purchasing all new GM sheetmetal for the whole truck. The truck was nicely put together, and painted a nice grey color.  About a year after the paintjob he popped the motor and sold the truck to a friend of mine, who pulled the motor, and sat the truck in his barn for about 15 years.

I picked the truck up, and got a fresh 327 w/350 heads and an RV cam ready to go into it. I still have the 350 that came in the truck from the factory, but I'm waiting to built it up a bit later.

Got the truck home and in the garage, and got started on installing my 5/7 drop (Spindles springs shocks, flip kit, shackles) new brakes, new brake lines, and a few other odds and ends.

hood off. lol

The body is REALLY straight on this thing:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:24:49 PM by bustindailey »

Offline bustindailey

Re: 78 Scottsdale
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Got the front suspension, brakes, and brakes lines done first.

Then I got the motor in, and started hanging accessories:

Offline bustindailey

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »
Interior is next on the list. Here it is now:

I spent too much time on the   website, and decided to change the interior color.

She will be ALL buck-skin tan. Carpet, doors, dash, belts and visors.  I've sourced a set of factory C10 buckets and console for the truck as-well.

Offline bustindailey

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
I've got to finish rebuilding the carb, and drain and change the trans and rear-end fluid. After that I'll get the interior pulled and get a nice layer of sound deadener put down.

Should have some more updates in the next few weeks.

Offline bustindailey

Re: 78 Scottsdale 2wd
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
I've got a set of 15x8 Rally wheels, which should look pretty great with the drop I'm doing. Can't wait to get this thing on the ground! Just need to finish the flip in the rear and do the rear brakes and it'll be rolling!

Offline TXOUTLAW78

• New Users
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
Nice truck!!

Offline frankentruck79

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
I've got a set of 15x8 Rally wheels, which should look pretty great with the drop I'm doing. Can't wait to get this thing on the ground! Just need to finish the flip in the rear and do the rear brakes and it'll be rolling!
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline old gyal

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
That is a top notch truck you have there

Good luck with the build

Offline blazer74

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
Looking good. That console itself is a find in that condition.

Offline bustindailey

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Progress has been slow, but I'm still moving in the right direction.

I've got a couple of hang-up's on the Kickdown Cable... it's way too short. I got a new one in the longest available length, and it still seems like it will be too short.

Crossing that bridge soon, as far as i understand since this isn't an OD transmission, the cable functions differently than a TV cable... Which means i should be able to run it down the road without the cable being hooked up temporarily if I need to.

Offline AMSRocker

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:58:05 AM »
Looks great! Keep up the hard work!

Offline bustindailey

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
I forgot to update this, it's been a long road but I've been driving the truck nearly every day this year! Here is how it looks now!