Author Topic: electronic choke kit for divorced choke  (Read 1036 times)

Offline jcondo

electronic choke kit for divorced choke
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
anyone used an electronic choke kit instead of a divorced choke?
im having issues getting the truck to open the fast idle cam all the way up. it opens the choke plate all the way but the fast idle cam doesn't go down to lower the idle speed. it doesn't feel to be sticking that I can tell.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: electronic choke kit for divorced choke
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:40:38 AM »
My Quadrajet had a stock hot air choke and I upgraded to an electric choke with a kit I bought from Cliffshighperformance.com. Similar kits are available from other sources, but some install and work differently.  I decided that Cliff Ruggles knows a lot about Quadrajets (he literally wrote the book) and I figured his kit would be reliable.

Make sure you follow the directions carefully with the Ruggles kit, because the stock hot air choke also makes a vacuum connection that needs to be plugged. IIRC, the vacuum pulls hot air through the stock choke, so it needs to be capped when you switch to electric.  You may also have to take out a rubber gasket that is under the stock choke body so that the new electric choke is grounded to the engine.  He suggests getting key-on power from one of the terminals on the wiper motor.

If the hot idle cam is not working properly, you may also want to take a close look at the choke pull-off(s).  Some carbs have more than one, and at least one is used as part of the high idle system and choke.   I can't explain how they all work together, but it seems that the pull-offs are closely matched to different carburetor models.   My carburetor has two pull-offs, mounted on the front and back of the carburetor on the same side as the fuel inlet.

Bruce