Author Topic: FI Tech EFI carb replacement  (Read 3850 times)

Offline leadlobber7

FI Tech EFI carb replacement
« on: December 01, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
Has anyone installed and fi Tech brand EFI carb replacement on a 454 in replacement of a stock Quadrajet? I have an 86 Chevrolet k-30 with a 454 BBC with a t 400 auto trans 4x4

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline 77c10sb

Re: FI Tech EFI carb replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »
I installed fitech system on my 350. In order to fit a ur manifold u neex to get a spacer

Offline leadlobber7

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
I installed fitech system on my 350. In order to fit a ur manifold u neex to get a spacer
If you don't mind tell me a little bit about your experience with it .  Do you like it , Was it worth the money? Are you required to replace your mechanical fuel pump  with a electronic ? What kind of gas mileage are you getting compared to what you were before and performance? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline 77c10sb

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
love it. def worth the money.  keep in mind is that i replace my intake manifold for a cheap edelbrock street performer unit. Before driving, you have to tune your IAC to recommended setting. Also if you get the fuel command center, you have to set the pwc for the fuel command center to 40%, if you dont do that it will run the fuel pump super hot.  I still have my factory mechanical pump and im using the fitech fuel command center.  all i needed is 4 wire to make the car run.   1 issue on my truck that is fitech related is that occationally the digital screen inside the cap for the readouts tend to go out. I have to keep on unplugging it and plugging it back on, which is annoying.  i just have to call fitech to get a new screen. another issue i have on my truck is not related to the fitech system.  I have 2 tanks and the driver side tank sender is bad, so i fill up the truck on the passenger side tank.  For some reason everytime i fill up the passenger side tank and drive it around for a while,  it starts to spew gas from the driver side gas cap.  i have no idea why it does that.  other then that the truck runs pretty perfect.  As for before and after perfomance, i dont have any since the day i bought the truck it sat in my driveway for 2 years with carb problems, and that was the reason i went with fitech.  heres a video of my truck first startup with the fitech.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HCGg3AqZOg
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:43:42 PM by 77c10sb »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
77c10sb, is your swtiching valve bad?  Routed correctly?  Is the tank that is spewing full?  The only connection between the two tanks is the switching valve.

Offline 77c10sb

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
77c10sb, is your swtiching valve bad?  Routed correctly?  Is the tank that is spewing full?  The only connection between the two tanks is the switching valve.
When i bought the truck, the previous owner had put the swtich on the right side tank and put tape on it so it will stay there, so i assume this was a problem long before i took ownership.  when i do switch it to the left hand tank the fuel gauge reads way past full, however the trucks still runs fine.  I search the web and it states its possible a bad sender or a bad ground.   The days that ive owned the truck,  I have not put fuel in the driver side tank at all, but i believe its always full.  Im planning on putting a blazer tank in the rear, so im just going to deal with it till i put the new tank.

Offline renegade681

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
After the first of the year I'm going to try it on a 454.
78 K10  3/4 ton axles 4:56 gears NV4500/205 with a 454

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
When I got my truck it had a dealer-added auxiliary tank, and they had only used a 3 port switching valve. 

The problem with that was that my mechanical fuel pump has a return line and they had left it connected it to the main tank.  If you ran off the auxiliary, the pump always returned excess fuel to the main tank, so in some cases it pumped fuel out of the main and back into the aux tank.   I finally pulled a 6 port valve from a truck in the junkyard, and now it switches both input and return lines.

Bruce