Author Topic: Wont start hot  (Read 4754 times)

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
Wont start hot
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
87 v30 454 tbi th400. Been having an issue with my truck not starting after i drive it for half an hour or so. It starts up great in the morning, and 9 out of 10 times will run fine all day. But occasionally it will Leave me stranded at the gas station taking up two pumps with my truck and trailer ;D   When it happens its almost like a dead battery no clicking no sounds besides the fuel pump coming on.So far all I have to do is wait 10 to 30 minutes and it will start right up again. The 454 runs pretty hot, I dont believe its overheating. But then again my temp gauge doesnt work. New parts include cap, rotor,plugs, wires, ICM, Battery, air filter, map sensor, All fluids changed. etc  Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
87 v30 duelly dump truck 454, th400, np205, dana 60/14 bolt, warn hubs, gmt800 mirrors and LEDs all around the bed.

Offline Jason S

Re: Wont start hot
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Sounds like a typical hot starter solenoid.  Shielding the solenoid or sometimes replacement of the solenoid and/or entire starter should cure it.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
Replace starter. The shield may work but a starter shouldn't need to be shielded. So the starter is week
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
so when the starter/solenoid gets hot it fails? I hadnt thought of the starter just cuz it usually works fine.  everything you guys are saying makes sense. I will probably pick up a new starter tomarrow. Seems like a pretty straight forward install. Is there anything I should look out for/ be aware of when putting it in?
87 v30 duelly dump truck 454, th400, np205, dana 60/14 bolt, warn hubs, gmt800 mirrors and LEDs all around the bed.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
...The shield may work but a starter shouldn't need to be shielded....

This isn't universally true.  It depends on the circumstances - high ambient temperature, excessive heat emission from the exhaust in the area of the starter, poor airflow around the starter, etc.  GM installed starter heat shields for V8 engines (from about early '80s, forward) for this reason. 

Once the starter shows symptoms of overheating, I agree, it should be replaced.  But, installation of a heat shield at the same time is prudent.  One should also verify there are no voltage losses across the starter solenoid wiring from the ignition switch or across the cabling from the battery.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
BD I do agree a heat shield will prolong the life of the starter if added when new. But adding one now won't do you that much good. Guess I'm cheap lol never bought one just get life time starters and change them when bad. But I think I only had to change mine once in the 10+ years I had this engine and headers.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
BD I do agree a heat shield will prolong the life of the starter if added when new. But adding one now won't do you that much good. Guess I'm cheap lol never bought one just get life time starters and change them when bad. But I think I only had to change mine once in the 10+ years I had this engine and headers.

LOL - Not cheap, Frugal

I agree with you Irish - adding a heat shield after-the-fact of starter damage is hopeful, but not a cure.  A bad starter is just that and should be replaced.  However, experience has shown the benefit of a heat shield for prolonging starter life and easing the pain of Chevy's infamous "hot start syndrome."

...Albeit, lifetime starters work, too!  And, think of the e x p e r i e n c e you can get swapping them out....   ;D   JK
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jason S

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
so when the starter/solenoid gets hot it fails?
  Yes

Seems like a pretty straight forward install. Is there anything I should look out for/ be aware of when putting it in?
  Nothing extraordinary about the swap. Compare the old starter to the new starter to make sure the parts store pulled the correct part for you.

Disconnect the battery before you begin replacement and be sure to put the wires back into the correct location, label them if you need to and make sure to sufficiently tighten all connections (but not over-tight). If there is corrosion present on the wire terminals, use some emory cloth or fine sandpaper to clean off the terminals. If insulation is missing from the wires or evidence of burning, correct the issue before putting it back into service.

It is possible that the starter may need to be shimmed, especially if there are any shims that were installed with your current starter, but see what you have before getting into that discussion.

Does the truck currently have headers or the factory exhaust manifolds?  As I mentioned and as discussed above, there are heat shields available that can help to alleviate or prevent premature failures.  From the factory, the truck would've had all shields installed.  Over time someone adding headers, replacing the starter or during an engine replacement could've left off any shielding.  It would be a good time to replace/install any heat shields to help prevent future downtime. 

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »
Thanks Jason. It has stock manifolds, but a custom(homemade) true duel exhaust that the previous owner did. I did notice that there is no heat shield. I will attempt to correct that. I have replaced a starter or two on other trucks but never had to shim, if I run into that I will be asking more questions. Thanks for everyones help.   

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
It was definetely the starter. When I pulled it out I found that the top part of the solenoid was missing just cracked and fell off at some point. I cant believe it started at all. The new starter is working great.