Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 37157 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Coronavirus
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
What's happening in your area?

In Connecticut, schools are closing like crazy and everyone is hoarding TP. I'm thinking about hitting the packy and stocking up :)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 06:49:14 PM »
It is stupid everywhere.  The media has really blown this way out of proportion.  I've seen a couple of interviews with patients that had it.  Less in severity than the 24hr flu.  I can't believe the panic.  Folks are real gall-able.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 06:54:03 PM »
The MSM need to quit screwing with America.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 06:55:59 PM »
Carl 

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »
Z85's post pretty-much sums it up for me.

I have a very sick 78yo woman I care for. (my Mother)  We use Lysol around our house, on a regular basis, for a number of things.  For the last coupla' weeks, I can't even score so much as one can. 

*The whole "toilet paper" thing just boggles the heck out of me.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:30:01 AM »
It isn't hype and over-reaction guys!  Okay...stocking up on TP is an over-reaction.  It isn't that millions of people are going to die!  It is that the infection rates are really high and community spread is running rampant.  If we don't take proactive measures to reduce the rate of infection, people are going to get sick.  Some will die, but it will overwhelm our healthcare system and people that need care won't be able to get it!  Then more people will die!

China has reached an inflection point in the number of cases.  Their infection rate has slowed down.  That is a good sign!  The last look at the known cases shows that they have about 30 days for a doubling of the number of infected.  As of March 10th in the USA the infection rate doubled in just 2 days.  Yes we don't have the number of cases as in China, but if we don't slow it down, we will see a lot more people infected very rapidly.  And again...a lot of people won't die, but they could be a carrier and give it to someone that is in a high-risk group.  Maybe you give it to your grandma and she dies?!

Also...you don't realize that our healthcare system is in a really vulnerable spot right now!  Healthcare workers can't even get masks!  They just aren't available anywhere.  They are rationing masks and only wearing them for really sick people.  Where do you think our masks come from???  China!  What do you think will happen when all of your doctor's office staff are quarantined for 14 days?  Also...medicines.  There are a lot of medicines that you can't go and get an extra prescription for so that when you are quarantined for 2 weeks you have enough, for example.  Why?  Because the bases for those medicines come from?...you guessed it...China!

Here in the epicenter of SARS-CoV-2, the official name of the virus, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.  Yes...it is a type of SARS.  Here in the epicenter in Kirkland, WA where I work, schools are now shutdown in King, Snohomish, & Pierce countries until April 24th.  Boeing white collar workers are all working from home.  Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, all working from home.  University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, local community colleges, all online classes.  Of course, my work at PACCAR goes on!  We are keeping the lights on here in the Seattle Area!  We are talking about working remotely, but for now we are soldiering on and washing our hands religiously!

Finally...one of the single best resources for information about the virus that is both objective and fact-based, and also acknowledges the difficulty in knowing the true population of the infected is: ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:35:14 AM by ehjorten »
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
I concur with Erik.  Although sidestream media is whipping circumstances into a froth to promote an agenda of political bashing to undermine social structure as effectively as they can, the underlying premise of world alarm is sound and potentially devastating if people at large don't apply precautionary judgment in their actions to help slow down the advance of the contagion.  But, that isn't to promote irresponsible overreaction.  People still have to live and carry on with life routines. 

Some good news is as seasonal weather warms our hemisphere, regional coronavirus cases should decrease markedly.  The caveat is that in greatest likelihood it will gain a strengthened foothold in the southern hemisphere.  For all intents and purposes, the current as well as new variants of coronavirus are here to stay and will surge periodically with the advent of cool seasons.  Hopefully, by the next "flu season" an effective vaccine will be ready for broad distribution. 

In the meantime, don't take careless risks.  Rather, employ rational additional precautions to help safeguard yourselves and loved ones.  A question to consider under pandemic circumstances is, "If I can do something to help manage the disease, yet don't when I have that opportunity, and the people I care about most suffer as a result ... am I remiss?"  Simply stated, it can't hurt anybody to be sensible and apply beyond normal precautions in an attempt to help ameliorate and manage the spread of illness when opportunities present themselves.  It is simply one of the responsibilities of living in a society.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »
Well, I'm officially on vacation for at least 2 weeks and possibly longer. There's definitely going to be some economic impacts that will hit us all. Let's just hope we all stay healthy.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:15 PM »
md schools are closed till april, prison life is taking measures to try and prevent anyone from getting it from screening new inmates for 2 weeks to talks about if we do have anything pop up everyone (staff included) will be quarantined. its crazy about the tp. people around here will freak over the thought of snow and buy the tp/milk and bread but since its nation wide you cant even buy tp on amazon. saw someone on facebook selling a roll for $2
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:40 AM »
I wanted to add...

Taking necessary precautions...cancelling or limiting mass gatherings, limiting unnecessary travel, self containment of the sick, early detection and treatment, doing things to strangle the spread of the virus, etc...are ALL prudent and necessary actions.  I take absolutely ZERO exception to any of those things.

But, for the folks who are emptying grocery stores, and panic-buying generators and the like, my message would be, "You're doing it wrong.  You're adding to the problem(s), not the solution(s)."

Just my humble opinion.  Your mileage may vary.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
In my part of the world, schools were out last week for spring break and most will be out this coming week.

After returning back to Texas from a week long spring break vacation with the kids, on the way home we stopped at an Academy Sports to get baseball gear. Since we don't often get to Academy, I went looking around and saw that, with exception of the astronaut ice cream, their freeze dried food section was cleared out (along with other items through the store).

Then had a stop at Walmart Neighborhood Market to get pet food and noticed the canned goods section had been picked over pretty well.  Then noticed a few aisles down that the TP section was wiped clean (pun intended). 

Our trip was to Washington DC and things were fine until Thursday.  There was only one cancellation for a pre-scheduled tour (i.e., Pentagon). We were on the last of the tours for the Capital before they closed off public access. Also the last tour of the last day for the Library of Congress. The signs on the LOC stated they would close on 3/12 and reopen on 4/1.  Smithsonian museums remained open until Friday (our last planned day there) and said they'd be closed today.

Not sure if it was just our flight time today (06:15 am) from DC to Dallas or if it was people abstaining from flight, but our Southwest flight was about 50 persons shy of full capacity.

I reckon we'll wait and see as we work on sorting through spring break photos to print.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:29:04 PM by zieg85 »
Carl 

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Coronavirus
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:45 PM »
Wow, Zieg85 thats creepy! Anyway, the sky is not falling. And this is not political. But, I strongly feel that Trump, Pence and the CV task force are doing an incredible job, they are so on top of this thing. It is so encouraging to watch them nearly every day giving us a full update on every phase of this thing. Our President is keeping things in order and bringing folks and communities together. Of course there will always be a few knuckle heads fighting over stupid toilet paper, but that too will pass, deliveries and supplies are in full force. Some folks are acting like this is a natural disaster, like its weather related. Again, I am not speaking left or right, it is very calming and encouraging to see both sides work together on this. Just watching those Dr's speak and our Pres. also, very calm and reassuring, their tone is with high confidence, like they are not missing a beat. I believe this thing will pass sooner than later. I lost $65k on the market, but i know that too will come back with a vengeance. Here in MA, all is shut down, the Govt. is having me work from home, telework. Praying all are well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:10:03 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »
Here is an article that articulates a large part of the issue and why we are having to shutdown events and social gatherings, universities, and in some states now they are temporarily shutting down restaurants and bars!

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-outbreak-testing-delays-60a25ce6-f08d-438f-b294-358e0c300d95.html

I have several family and friends in various states that have confirmed this.  We don't have test kits!  I have family in California.  My sister-in-law and one of her sons had came down with a fever, dry cough, body aches.  They went to the doctor and were told that because they weren't in the high risk category, they wouldn't test them.  My sister-in-law questioned them about not having test kits and they admitted that they didn't have any!  That is just one latest example.  Now whether we don't have test kits because of a lack of a serious and timely response, whether the US government decided not to use WHO test kits, or whether it is just a demand that is higher than production can keep up with, I don't know, but if we don't know who is infected, we can't isolate them and determine who they have been in contact with.  So...we are left with taking more drastic measures to try and slow this thing down.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »
Well, I'm officially on vacation for at least 2 weeks and possibly longer. There's definitely going to be some economic impacts that will hit us all. Let's just hope we all stay healthy.

I live in the immediate Austin, TX area, and deliberately took last week off (starting 7 March) in anticipation of the SXSW horde descending upon us, as well as those attending events out at our F1 venue.  While those threats never fully materialized, others ultimately have.  My town is on one of two direct corridors between Austin and Houston - Texas' largest hotbed of virus communication.  As a matter of self preservation, I have self-sequestered myself here at my home, leaving only when absolutely essential for A to B trips.  I live alone, so I don't have to worry about kids or spouses.  I have asked my friends to refrain from visiting my home for the foreseeable future, in an effort to preserve the relative safety of its confines.

My biggest reasons for taking such steps are these:  Although I am well below the determined age threshold, I am one of those with who face an elevated risk of life-threatening contamination.  In addition to being a diabetic, a little more than two years ago I contracted a case of the flu; the same one that took a young teacher's life in northern Texas (she was 20-years my junior). Pneumonia ended up setting in, and after an initial 3 days in the ICU fighting for my own life, I spent an additional 10 days in the hospital trying to recover.  While I obviously did, the experience left me with a measure of permanent respiratory damage.  The mere thought of entering a hospital due to illness after those experiences is completely unpalatable to me.

As all of you know, colleges and universities across the country have largely extended Spring Break for another week, with many planning online instruction for the foreseeable future.  However, essential staff must return this upcoming Monday in order to help facilitate this endeavor.  As I work for one of these institutions, I'm more than a little bit apprehensive, with my own history being what it is, about having to work alongside members of my own staff, despite the absence of students.  In an effort to protect them as well as myself, I intend to allow them to use accrued vacation time wherever possible in order to help mitigate any potential problems.  Obviously there is only so much any of us can do, and we must try and depend on those closest to us to do their part in order to slow the progression of this virus.  I learned yesterday that one of our students - not necessarily in our division - was suspected of having symptoms, but is now self-quarantining with their family. 

It doesn't take much for this terrible thing to show up on our very doorsteps, as I have just described, and as our own president himself has now experienced first-hand.  It has transcended politics as well as any and all media outlets, and it was gratifying today to hear him speak out more deliberately and plainly about the continued threat to our country's health, both physically and economically.

I fear the worst is yet to come, and when it does we must trust in the mettle of this country to see us through. We circled the wagons when our enemies were off our coasts in WWII, when they were a mere 90 miles away in the 60's, and on our very soil on 9/11.  We rose up and stood tall then, and I believe we are more than capable of doing it again.

We must keep our heads, and be smart.

Speaking of "heads", I predict an immediate boom in the plumbing services industry, as they go house to house, pulling even more paper towels, coffee filters and even strips of clothing than usual from pipes across the country.

Uh-oh, I think I might have just started a run on coffee filters! ::)

Be safe out there,

bake315
• '73 Cheyenne Super C20 454/400 http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7672.0
• ’79 Scottsdale K10 350/NP208/SM465 “Oscar” http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37885.0
• ’87 Custom Deluxe R30 350/400 “Felix”