Author Topic: Exhaust systems for California  (Read 20167 times)

Offline Marvan c10

Exhaust systems for California
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

OK ! I went up today to my exhaust system installed, I want to run duals. He said  ( The guy at muffler -Man on Franklin Bl )it's illegal for my truck to have duals in California, that if a vehicle calls for an Catalytic Converter that they can't install duals because of the emission sticker said Catalytic on it and my fuel tank door says unleaded only. That if I was to put duals on it then my truck wouldn't pass smog. I told him I'll be back I have go get an FIRST opinion. 1980 Chevy C10 swap-350 for a 305 till I rebuild the 350, 2wd stetside,T350.
While we're speeding through life, we miss the chance to get a good look at the road we're on.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Exhaust systems for California
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
If you have a Gold Shield smog repair station in your area, visit them and find out what the current regulations are regarding CARB approved exhaust changes.  And, research the California Air Resources Board website at www.arb.ca.gov.  You may find that modifying the exhaust is legal (and cost effective) only when using headers and a cat-back system bearing a CARB EO number that matches your specific application.  Even cats are very specific in Cali.  Unfortunately, in this State you need to have your i's dotted and t's crossed in order to avoid emissions headaches; California isn't very forgiving.   :'(   Good luck on finding a suitable solution.   :)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Marvan c10

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

Thanks ! I've been looking to find something that pertains to what he said and haven't found any subjects that addresses this yet. I'll just try a different muffler shop and see what they say.
While we're speeding through life, we miss the chance to get a good look at the road we're on.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
     Marvan, he is correct.  You can not run duals off the exhaust manifolds, but after the cat you can run duals with dual mufflers, or after mufflers split into duals if you want to exit with duals.
     Are you wanting it for looks or performance ?  The vehicle code only states that the exhaust system can not be tampered with from engine to cat, after that you can do what you want.  I am surprised he did not mention that to you.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
     Marvan, he is correct.  You can not run duals off the exhaust manifolds, but after the cat you can run duals with dual mufflers, or after mufflers split into duals if you want to exit with duals.
     Are you wanting it for looks or performance ?  The vehicle code only states that the exhaust system can not be tampered with from engine to cat, after that you can do what you want.  I am surprised he did not mention that to you.

How does "Smog Legal" headers fall into place?  I am not in CA but we still smog test in 5 counties in Indiana.  I was going to run duals on my 86 C10 using factory dual pipes from a 1986 C20 and install dual catalytic convertors.  Guess I better check the laws here...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
...Guess I better check the laws here...

Probably prudent to do that.  Although CA is the worst for emissions regulations, other States are following suit.  Hope you have better luck than we do.   :)
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
Basically, anything listed here is legal. Anything else is not.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Pretty much anything that is non-factory is illegal in California. Aftermarket suppliers have to submit their mods for extensive (and expensive) testing before getting a coveted CARB sticker. I know that you can't use anything but an OEM cat on your car anymore. You used to be able to put cheap universal fit cats on your car, but not anymore. You have to buy them from the dealer now for the low low price of millions of dollars. Ugh.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »

How does "Smog Legal" headers fall into place?  I am not in CA but we still smog test in 5 counties in Indiana.  I was going to run duals on my 86 C10 using factory dual pipes from a 1986 C20 and install dual catalytic convertors.  Guess I better check the laws here...

I did not look up the actual law, I am going from experience.  I installed "smog legal" headers on a 99 ford expedition with a 5.4 in it and when I took it to get smog'd, the smog station would not smog it (even though the header Manf. sent a "C.A.R.B." sticker with the headers, which I had stuck on the radiator support).
     They said their computer (which is hooked to the DMV) denied the sticker. ( for grins I asked what C.A.R.B.. stickers were legal for that model and year, and they said they had none listed).
     So lesson learned, I sold it and started buying pre 76 vehicles, no smog required on anything 75 or older in Ca. (except my 2000 gmc for towing, all I have done to it is cold air intake, throttle body spacer and new cat back exhaust system, which I have done in the past with other vehicles and know they are all excepted)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:17:35 AM by bake74 »
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:14:29 AM »
Basically, anything listed here is legal. Anything else is not.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Pretty much anything that is non-factory is illegal in California. Aftermarket suppliers have to submit their mods for extensive (and expensive) testing before getting a coveted CARB sticker. I know that you can't use anything but an OEM cat on your car anymore. You used to be able to put cheap universal fit cats on your car, but not anymore. You have to buy them from the dealer now for the low low price of millions of dollars. Ugh.

They don't even have a category for header's in the drop down box.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »
Under the "List Executive Orders by Device" choose "Exhaust System/Exhaust Modification" in the drop down menu and hit Search. It's just a big long list of legal mods. You have to read through and find what will work for your year, make, model, engine, etc. It's pretty unwieldy really. I guess I should have explained things instead of just dumping a link to the DMV on everyone. I personally, would print up the Executive Order for any mod I bought and keep it in my files. I know that anything not on that list is technically illegal. The reality is that the smog techs are not forensic investigators and they can miss a lot of stuff. If your mods blow clean and aren't obvious, you can pass. My Edelbrock carb passed just fine. It blew clean, of course. I did a big write-up about it that kind of explains how I got it through.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76568&highlight=pass+smog
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline Marvan c10

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »

Sorry for taking so long to respond, What I ended up doing going back to a singal. They had to my a Y for CAT, that took them almost 2hrs. I went a CALIFORNIA EPA APPROVED, Catalytic Converters Flowmaster 40 series 1 in 2 out and them run 2 pipes out passager side before the rear tire. The only mistake that was made is that the it running parrel to my fuel lines and fuel tank crossover switch. She needs to go back.

Catalytic Converters - $160.00
Flowmaster 40 series - $80.00
Installation- $220.00
Smog Test - $41.00   Passed on the first try !!!!!  :-)

I happy with it, the sound is just what I wanted. And I noticed the accelerator respones much better now.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.   :)
Rich

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
Dual exhaust is pointless if it is single upstream...just run one dual outlet muffler so you can have two tips

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »
Dual exhaust is pointless if it is single upstream...just run one dual outlet muffler so you can have two tips
[/quote

That is my way of thinking also.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom