Author Topic: 2 exhaust systems in 1 truck  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Joe-NC

2 exhaust systems in 1 truck
« on: March 19, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
I like the sound of my thrush turbos just fine, but they're a bit loud for the neighborhood on the occasional Saturday mornings when I have to leave for work at 7am. I would like to have a bypass system that goes to a quiet muffler. I've seen all the standard cutout configurations, but almost all are bypassed to a straight pipe design. I don't want a straight pipe sound. I want to keep the turbo mufflers and also be able to switch over to the quiet muffler. The problem is that I need one pipe to be closed when the other is opened and vice versa, instead of the typical straight pipe design where only one pipe is closed off.

The only thing I've seen that comes close is the Mr. Gasket shown here, but I've not heard good things about them:

Are there any other products that will close one pipe while opening the other? Any other ideas?

Offline KWKENUF

Re: 2 exhaust systems in 1 truck
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
From my experience the turbo mufflers are the quiet ones!  Anyways...

I don't see why you couldn't use any of the "cutouts" on the market.  No one says you "must" run one side open or straight piped.  You should be able to build two systems off their respective outlets.  What kind of muffler are you going to use for your "quiet" one?

If your neighbors don't like your turbos at 7am on Saturday,  tell them to move!

Offline peckaldee

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »
That manual cutout will have to be brazed on as it is cast iron, ie., added cost.  There are electronic models available.  Sorry no link.

I made the mistake of having one of those manual POS installed on a Camaro I had once.  Bad idea.  Sounds nice but eventually corrosion takes over and no more movement in the flap.  Also it doesn't seal off worth a crap.

Just my .02 cents.

Offline Joe-NC

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't use any of the "cutouts" on the market.  No one says you "must" run one side open or straight piped.  You should be able to build two systems off their respective outlets.

That's the reason for my question. If both pipes are open at the same time (using the typical single switch cutouts to open the turbos), wouldn't I lose some of the exhaust through the quiet muffler, making the turbos pointless? Of course I could put another switch after the cutout, but having dual exhausts that would mean I need 4 switches. That's a total cost of about $400-$600 just for the switches. I just wished someone had a switch that opens one while closing the other, like a double sluice gate design.

If your neighbors don't like your turbos at 7am on Saturday,  tell them to move!

Ok, I'll try that. Ha ha.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
I see what you mean

You need a flap that closes the other pipe when it opens the first one

The only way you could do this  with the avaailable cutouts is to pipe it thru the quiet muffler and have the cutout open up the loud muffler

That make sense?

We are considering doing the same thing
Don't want to be THAT neighbor early in the AM
But once out of the neighborhood .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:58:18 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Jakethesnake73

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
I would put the cutouts after the cats but before the mufflers and have the new mufflers and pipes run tp the opposite side pf the current exhaust to make it look like dual pipes but if it already has dual pipes than i would just run the new pipes along side the old ones to make it look like quad pipes

Offline Jakethesnake73

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
Also look up dce mufflers, they are mufflers that have a quiet and loud side , essentially cutouts inside a muffler