Author Topic: Can I clean sparkplugs with carb cleaner?  (Read 11581 times)

Offline team39763

Can I clean sparkplugs with carb cleaner?
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
My truck keeps fouling out plugs, and at this point, buying new ones is not really an option.  A buddy had me to clean them with carb cleaner the 2nd time they fouled.  Now this third time, they were worse than the first two times.  I know I need to do some adjusting on the carb, but could it also be that I only let the truck run for a few seconds at a time?  Maybe the plugs aren't getting hot enough to clean themselves off?  The reason I don't leave it running long is because I don't have much gas in the tank + it's got open headers and it's too loud.  I haven't revved it much because I'm not 100% convinced that the timing is correct.  I do have a vacuum gauge and I plan to use it to set idle mixture screws.    But back to my original question, will it hurt anything by using  carb cleaner to clean the plugs?  I'm sorry if it's a silly question, I'm new to all this stuff.  Before this motor swap, the most I've done on my vehicles was change a flat and change the oil. Let me know what ya'll think.  And any advice on adjusting the carburetor would be appreciated. It's a Holley 750DP.

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Can I clean sparkplugs with carb cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
Use anything that can get your plugs clean.
As for the 750, I hope its that size because you have a 454.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
Use a vacuum gauge to adjust the carb.  With the engine not running turn the mixture screws in (don't torque on them) and then turn them out 2 full turns.  put on the guage and turn them about 1/4 turn at a time until you get the highest vacuum reading.  If your timing is off, I would start there first.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline team39763

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:52:33 PM »
I'm definately gonna grab one of those blaster/cleaners.  I'm gonna go do what you said Capt and see how it runs.  Thanks.

Offline KojaK 79k10

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
those blaster/cleaners are nice but you always tend to get the sand imbedded deep inside your plug around the electrode. you can get new spark plugs for less money and then you know you have a good spark plug to work with.
77 Chevy swb "race truck"

*SOLD* 79' k10 Silverado SWB "Kojak"
truck is gone but not forgotten, worst thing I ever did was sell this truck and I regret it everyday.

Offline team39763

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
I'd like to be able to grab some new plugs, but I'm 20miles from the nearest auto parts store and I don't have a ride.  I had a buddy come over and I think he may have fixed the rich idle.  But we still can't get it to turn on quicker....it cranks and cranks, then it turns on. What should I lower/raise my timing at idle to make it start easier?

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »
Back off your timing for easier starts.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline team39763

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
Hey guys.  I pulled apart the carb to see how it was setup.  The jets are 76 main and secondary.  Instead of power valves, it has plugs(main and secondary).  With it set up like that, wouldn't it run lean?  My wife picked up a carb rebuild kit and some power valves, so hopefully it runs better after that.