Author Topic: Pink wires do not look right  (Read 1354 times)

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
Pink wires do not look right
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
So, not sure what these pink wires are to, they up into a harness, but it appears that one wire is pulling out and the other looks like it go hot???

Any ideas???

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Pink wires do not look right
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
Besides being dirty, those wires appear okay.  The wires feed ignition power to whatever appliances they are connected.  The insulation withdrawing from the terminal and slipping up the wires is more cosmetic than dangerous.  If you don't like the way it looks, cut the wires back then strip, crimp and solder a new terminal onto the bare ends of the wires.  A Packard 56 terminal imaged below should be correct for that application and readily available.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:06:48 AM »
When you say "appliance" are you speaking of additions to the truck?  The only additions I have had on the truck was an 8-track (that should take you back  ;D  ), then a cassette player(s) which I disconnected and took out.  The trailer brake control has a heavy red wire.  I see on a wiring guide that there is a pink wire for the ignition.  It wouldn't be for that..........would it?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:41:59 AM »
In this context, an appliance is any electrical device, whether original equipment or aftermarket add-on.

Besides being dirty, those wires appear okay.  The [pink] wires feed ignition power to whatever appliances they are connected.  The insulation withdrawing from the terminal and slipping up the wires is more cosmetic than dangerous.  If you don't like the way it looks, cut the wires back then strip, crimp and solder a new terminal onto the bare ends of the wires.  A Packard 56 terminal imaged below should be correct for that application and readily available.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
okay, thank you.  I will investigate further.