Author Topic: Replacement OEM steering wheel  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Deathscythe

Replacement OEM steering wheel
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
Just un the off chance someone knows where to get one, I'm looking for a NEW OEM replacement steering wheel for a 86 GMC Sierra.
I'm guessing since the originals are leather that new replacements aren't made. Best bet would be to buy a new generic one or have it wrapped by a leather smith?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Replacement OEM steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
what steering wheel was leather? not sure if all of them were plastic but on all the trucks ive seen and own were plastic.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
The original Silverado wheel is no longer available. I bought a pretty good used one from e bay last year for my 87. On my daughters 78 stepside I bought a reproduction 3 spoke wheel that was listed for a a Chevelle from one of the suppliers. Its a nice wheel that mounts on a nice thick hub and uses a good horn cap. 

Offline Deathscythe

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
I figured an aftermarket wheel would be about my only option for something new, just didn't know if there was a vendor similar to Year One or something similar that sold one.
I was wanting to stay as close to stock as possible, but I guess the hunt is on for something I like.
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
We got a four spoke wooden one on eBay

I’m pretty sure it’s The ONLY 4 spoke wooden one in the world that fits a squarebody

Never seen another one

I think every GM wheel will fit
So lots of choices

71-80 trans am wheel is my favorite

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »
Hi DS:
How about trying to restore your steering wheel?...if it is the faux leather (injection molded rubberized coating) there are products on the market you can apply to it to make it look new. For example, the OEM steering wheel on my 76 is the black faux leather with a plastic insert over the horn button...the faux leather and insert were becoming dull and faded. I painted the wheel with this special paint by Color Bond and bought a new plastic insert (I could have painted it as well). I did this over ten years ago and the wheel still looks new. I think I bought the special paint from a company called Just Dashes. If you are interested in trying it, post a photo of your steering wheel and I will let you know if I think it is possible without too much trouble to restore.

Regards,
Henry

Offline Deathscythe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
It probably is the injection molded wheel, but its cracked, but one crack but a small spiderweb of cracks over the top of the wheel. I don't think a spray would help the deterioration.
I can post some pics once I figure out how to downsize picture quality. My phone cameras picture quality is too high it seems...

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
Hi DS:
Actually, I recall now that I did not buy spray paint from Just Dashes...I bought it from Color Bond Paint...you can google their website. The paint I bought was called Seat Stylin and color was "skid mark black"...this was a perfect match for the original color of my steering wheel faux leather or pebble grain...whatever you want to call it. I think I also bought their prep for the paint. You can google "steering wheel repair"...there are a lot of resources for steering wheel repair these days.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »
May want to try ebay for NOS.