Author Topic: steering box  (Read 5252 times)

jsak

steering box
« on: July 18, 2001, 11:51:00 PM »
when driving in a straight line my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right.  when I let go of the wheel the truck travels in a straight line.  there is no play in the wheel.  is there a way to "straighten" out the steering box and get my steering wheel where it is supposed to be?  the Mechanics all say "you need a new steering box" Why? just to make the steering wheel straight? not for $$$$!!!!! I'll drive with a crooked wheel.  also, I find these new steering gears that go in the box for around $30 has anyone done this or should you just buy a new steering box???  I have had this 79 long bed for 4 years and the wheel has been like this since I drove it home so it is nothing but a cosmetic problem  so I don't want to spend too much money=====jsak

andyglines

steering
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
The wheel mounts onto a splined shaft.  It may be off one or two splines.  

84 silverado

steering woes.....
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
If the wheel is just off to left or right it's a matter of having a decent front end alignment done. All you have is a simple toe adjustment to take care of that. Yes, you could just rotate the wheel a spline or so but the RIGHT fix would be a quick toe setting too center the wheel..toe-in(out) doesn't just help for tire pulls and drifts, if it's properly done it centers the wheel.

PHOENIX

Steering wheel
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Is this the original steering wheel?
If it is a GT or Grant steering wheel you may have installed it wrong. I also had this problem, it is easy to fix.