Author Topic: Best alternators:  (Read 11047 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Best alternators:
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
Update:
Yes, i checked battery voltage---good.  Connections were all good and tight.

It turned out to be the starter----i installed the reman remy and it starts fine everytime now.

Re: Best alternators:
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
You can all be brand loyal but in reality that doesn't make a lot of practical sense (for more reasons then I care to discuss right now) but what does primarily is availability on your parts. Most AP stores offer decent warranties on alternators and will have these in stock. If you think an AC Delco alternator won't let you down, think again. If you are ordering it from rockauto or the like and it decides to find the cemetery are you okay with waiting a few days for a replacement and then waiting for a credit? It sure is nice to pop two bolts and run down to the parts store and be back up and running in no time. If that doesn't matter to you then what I said is irrelevant to you but for those who daily drive and rely on your trucks, availability and warranty should be helping you decide where to buy those parts.

Well, the V-man was right;  i spent about $120 to put a reman AC delco alternator in, only to have to take it out after two weeks and put the "offbrand" autoparts store brand in that was on the 305 and 350 on.

The other thing that i didn't fully realize was that those autoparts stores remans ARE delco/remy units---it says that right on the back of the units.   So, if these remans are put back together with care, then they should be just as good as an AC delco reman.  The same rebuilders who do the autoparts store brands may even also reman them for AC delco?