Author Topic: Aluminum Radiator vs Copper Core Radiator?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Aluminum Radiator vs Copper Core Radiator?
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »

What's forum concensus on which style of radiator is the better option to go with?

I have a 4-core radiator that came with a 1986 Suburban with factory 454 but it needs to be re-cored and the local radiator shop wants approximately $450.00 and that's to use whatever the best core stock is for max performance.

A local guy has an aluminum radiator, new in the box for $175.00 Size: 19" H x 32" W x 2.2" thick  the stock radiator in my Jimmy is 19" H x 34" W x 2.5" thick so it's pretty close to the same dimensions.

Talked to a radiator shop and they said if a rock hits the radiator and punctures a tube most radiator shops won't be able to fix it, but with a standard copper core radiator most shops could fix it.

Any opinions?

:)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Aluminum Radiator vs Copper Core Radiator?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »
It is my understanding aluminum radiators cool better. Just my $.02!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:31:17 AM »
if you are looking to chop weight off the front end which I don't think you are you should go with the aluminum one. I had an aluminum radiator in my old dodge rock came up and got into it they couldnt fix it, so I put the old radiator in it. Depends on your budget really, you can probably go with the aluminum one for now and it will get the job done no problem.

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »
Mostly trying to do this engine swap on a budget.  $450.00 to rebuild the old one or $175.00 for the new aluminum one.

I'd like to go with having my stock Chevy radiator rebuilt using the best core material possible.

Will think about it for a few days.

Thanks,

:)

Offline fitz

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
$450 sounds high to recore your old Rad. I haven't checked prices in awhile but I thought you could get a new Modine 4 core for about $250. Have you priced new ones from a local parts store?

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »

Have you priced new ones from a local parts store?

Not yet, I'll check with NAPA see what they can do.  I heard that prices went up because copper went up in price?

Offline fitz

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
I just googled "modine 4 core radiator chevy k30" and came up with a few listings that had 4 cores in the $250-$280 range. Both Autozone and Oreileys had 4 cores in that price range (not sure if they were Modines or not).
I got my Modine from Napa a few years ago.