Author Topic: More Pictures  (Read 16262 times)

Offline JJSZABO

More Pictures
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
It's starting to take shape.  86 Chevy C-10.  Viper blue (putting on clear tonight)

Before:

After:

Thanks for looking.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline 79SHORTWIDE

• Registered Users
    • 79 SHORTWIDE
Re: More Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »
LOOKING REALLY GOOD! It gives me hope for the future.

Offline Mr79C10

• Registered Users
  • My 79 C-10 Project
    • My 79 C10 Project
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:43:47 PM »
Nice shad of blue.
Looks good.
*79 C10 Short Box  ST8 6 bang'r
*Lowered w/ 3" Control arms, 2" Lower Coils  and 4" shackles and hangers W/ FLIP KIT  
*House of Friends

Offline 85MudMonster

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »
I love that blue. It looks awesome!
Dan

85 Chevy K10 - 408 BBC from a 71 Chevelle SS, TH350, NP208, 33" Mastercraft Courser M/T

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »
Thanks guys.  The metalics really pop when the light hits it.  It looks like a solid color in the shade.

The clear really turned out great - upload more pictures when the cab is done.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline 79SHORTWIDE

• Registered Users
    • 79 SHORTWIDE
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:00:59 PM »
Have you painted before?
I'm not far enough along in my body/paint work to start researching which primer, paint etc.
What did you use?
I'm more of a mechanical guy that is self taught on the welding 'cause I don't want to pay $$$$$$$$ for something I can figure out.
The welding went pretty good. Next is prep for primer. ETC ETC ETC. never enough time.

I want my truck DONE by late July 08 for TEXAS HEAT WAVE but I know I'm really pushing it.
Good luck on yours.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »
looks great!  Good Job!

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »
No, I never painted before.  I've taken an adult automotive painting class at our local Votech.  I learned to spray PPG Deltron products, but what I am spraying now is SPI (Southern Polyurethane products).  I am spraying SPI because of the high quality and low price (no flames please - just my opinion).

I started by sanding the existing finish with 80 grit then 180 grit then 320 grit.  Completed all body work (body filler is over bare metal and 80 grit sand scratches) then sanded the body filler to 320 grit.  Sprayed two coats of SPI epoxy primer, let set overnight, then two coats of 2K gray primer, block sanded flat to 500 grit(SPI 2k primer does not need a sealer) then sprayed two coats of viper blue, waited over night and sprayed two more coats for complete coverage then let that sit overnight and tonight I sprayed three coats of SPI universal clear.  I just noticed that I have alot of trash in the horizontal parts of the door jambs - looks like I need to color sand then buff.  Color looks great though.

I am by no means a body man - I am also more mechanically inclined.  I have learned alot from the people on this board and the SPI board.  Please don't think I am trying to advertise for SPI but I do like their products and it was cheaper than PPG.  I also liked the PPG Deltron product line.  Those are all I have sprayed.

Read, ask questions, then read some more and then go and spray.  If you have any questions find the board that supports the product and ask questions - I love this stuff.

I am pushing to have this truck done by the end of the year.

Good luck.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:25:27 PM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:36:02 AM »
Looking good! More pics.......................... :o
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
Looks great. I know a few guys that say they do body work and paint and have been for a few years, that don't have results like that.
 As far as your trash in the paint. If you are letting your base flash over night it might be helpful to use a scuff pad on it before you clear. I clear within an hour or so, but have waited over night before. Also the blow gun is your friend. I have been known to blow of and out of all the nooks and crannies for several hours before final wash and tack cloth step. I prefer a blow gun with a 24" tube on it. i stuff that sucker in every crevice I can find the full depth. 
 I did an 87 Elcamino Viper blue and a GM purple faded into each other at about mid point up on the sides of the car. Its called purple but looks like charcol except in the twilight hours. Then it has a heavy purple hue to it.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »
Thanks Guys :)

Thanks for the advice Blazin - I did not do that.

Between the second and third coat of base  I tacked off and I also tacked off before clear.  I was afraid to blow off the cab because I didn't want to kick up to much dust to have it settle in the finish.  I am spraying in a small confined area so dust is an issue.  The cab and bed will be the largest parts I'll spray.

I think I got the trash after I left the makeshift booth to mix more clear and I ended up releasing dust or overspray attached to the walls.  The trash is only on the horizontal surface of the door jambs.  The vertical parts are smooth.

I suppose I can sand out the trash with 1500 grit and buff the area to a shine - or should I spray another coat of clear after sanding?

I have to admit that I was fighting my spray guns.  I am using a cheap set of ATD 6900 guns.  I started having problems right after I painted my first few parts.  After I cleaned the 1.8 tip gun, it would sputter when it sprayed.  Then my 1.4 tip gun started doing the same thing.  The comon factor with both guns was it started after I cleaned them, sooo....... a little research and I finally figured out I was not tightening the "nozzle" enough (sorry, have not learned the part names yet).  Also the "air cap" was not tightened enough.  Once I fixed those problems, the guns started to spray GREAT.  My first coat of color looked like crap.  I had to sand out runs and reshoot.  I am learning though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:48:32 AM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline 85MudMonster

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »
The first few times are always a learning curve when doing paint and body work. But it looks very good, I didn't notice the trash the first look I took but now I see it, just hit it up with that 1500, and then buff it out, bor if you really want to spray it do that. But aparently Blazin had Micrscopic vision, cause I didn't even notice that.
Dan

85 Chevy K10 - 408 BBC from a 71 Chevelle SS, TH350, NP208, 33" Mastercraft Courser M/T

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
I didn't notice it either, I took his word for it that it was there!
 1500 grit will work, but I do a final sand with 2000 grit after the 1500 when I buff it. If you want to respray the clear I would use 800 or 1000 grit. Just be carfull not to break through to the color if you are only buffing it. I like 3M micro finishing compound, then a machine glaze / polish. Car Craft makes a good one. Can't remember the number but its a mint green color.
 As for blowing it off I meant before you start to paint it. I tend to spend a few hours blowing it off / out.
I also spend allot of time during the process of doing all the work blowing it off / out. After sand blast, etc. Basically anytime I have the blow gun in my hand to clear the area I am working on, I will go over the whole rig real good one sometimes more times.
 As far as your spray area, I have always had better luck the bigger the shop / room the better the results.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 08:32:50 AM »
Now I know why body shops get so much for this work.  I think I done a lifetime worth of sanding in one week - and this was just the cab.  I still have the fenders, hood, doors and bed to do - WHEW!! :'(

And did I mention - sandpaper is expensive.  I try to find it on the net and buy in bulk.  9.95$ at NAPA for wet/dry 1500 grit (FOR ONLY 5 SHEETS).  80 grit, 180 grit, 320 grit, 500 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit - grits to fit my DA, grits to fit my durablocks, grits to fit.............

Whew - I am getting tired.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »
You can get 400-2000 grit wet or dry at wal-mart in the larger sheets for ~$4 for 5 sheets...
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”