Author Topic: you know what gets my goat?  (Read 21310 times)

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
you know what gets my goat?
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
I just pulled up the weather channel website to check temp for tonight, 21 degrees, pretty cold, switched over from heat pump to oil furnace, anyway, as I was saying, on the weather channel website there is a poll on there where you can answer true or false; question is:

A slight amount of frost on the road can cause a car to lose control.  True or False.

Of course, being the inteligent being I am (think so anyway), I answered the question correctly.  The answer is False.  Ice, frost, snow, rain, gravel, whatever does not CAUSE a car to lose control, THE DRIVER DOES.  A car parked on the road on frost will not lose control.  Right?

93% answered True to that question.   That is what is wrong with America, it can't have anyone to blame, there are no bad drivers out there, just bad road conditions. 

I have a question, true or false, if a little frost is on the road, do ALL cars lose control?  So every car out there on the roads will wreck?  No!   Then why does frost CAUSE cars to lose control....it doesn't, it is the drivers.   

I love it when watching the news and there is a 30 car pile up, the news person says it was CAUSED by the fog or by the rain.  NO idiot, not all cars on the road in the fog or rain wrecked!  It was caused by drivers not driving according to the situation.  Idiots.   Meanwhile my auto insurance goes up because people have the blame taken off them, it was the rain or ice that caused the wreck, not the driver.

sorry, I feel better now.   

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
Re: you know what gets my goat?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »
I feel the same way about several other things as well. Guns dont kill people, people using guns incorrectly, kills people. Dont take my guns, they have never shot anyone.

Another thing, is I am a motorcycle rider, and have been for many years. I have never layed my bike over, and have had many people pull out in front of me. I watch for them because I now they dont watch for me. I guess you can say I practice self preservation. I know many people who have had wrecks on bikes, and have lost a few friends. Only one was what I call un controllable. A deer ran out in front of him. He saw the deer, slowed down to about 25mph, and it ran into him. He was ok, just shook up. The rest were because people pulled out in front of them, or they were driving too fast for the conditions, or drunk. I dont buy the "pull out in front of me" excuse. If you are watching those around you, then you can be pretty much aware to what they are going to do. The old fable of laying the bike down to help stop doesnt make sense either. If metal to asphalt was the best brakes, then why do we run on rubber tires. Ever seen a train stop quickly??? Thats metal to metal. I got into an arguement with a co-worker one day about the lay it down theory. A guy had gotten killed when someone pulled out in front of hium, he layed it down, and lost his life when he slid into the car. We went out and looked at the marks where the foot peg had dug into the pavement. I took my bike, and got up to speed, and the second I saw the peg indention, I hit my brakes. I stopped in half the distance that the peg drug and it still hit the car. Ihave a big bike (1800 Honda VTX) and stopped in half the distance at 55 mph. I dont want to say that accidents dont happen, but most of what I see could have been prevented.
  I also believe in helmets. I dont believe they should be forced to wear them, but I believe in them. I have seen them save a life too many times. We lost a young kid (17 years old) that had one of the organ donor bikes (crotch rockets) that decided to show off for his friend by driving hi speed around a corner. He hit a sign at 120+mph. Removed his left leg at the hip, and busted his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene, but the medical examiner ( a good frien of mine) said the autopsy revealed he was still conscious for about 20 minutes after the wreck.
   Sorry to be so long, but I am getting tired of seeing our youth getting killed because mom and dad want to buy them motorcycles, and not give them proper training, or even make sure they are mature enough to handle it. A 16 year old doesnt need a bike that is capable of 120 + MPH. Plus, I am sick of motorcycles being looked at as the reason people get killed. Motorcycles arent dangerous, an idiot on one is. Once again, sorry to be so long, Im just getting sick of councilling young kids because of parents ignorance, or our youths carelessness. It gets hard trying to explain to young kids why the guy they had fun with last saturday, wont be here today. I have chased these careless youth down, and broke the key off in their bikes, and given themmy name so their parents can contact me to see why I did it. They always call furious, but always hangup thankful..
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22:20 AM »
People need to learn how to drive or stay off the roads when it snows. It's so annoying watching someone ride their brakes all the way down a hill. Downshift you twit! Jeesh is that so hard to do? Move the shift lever into (2)! I've seen at least 50 good wrecks in the past 2 days. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to get home from a 20 minute drive.

Don't even get me started on people and motorcycles. Helmet laws are for people who like to hit motorcyclists and cry about their insurance rates going up. Helmets should be mandatory for 18-23 year olds only.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
Along with learning to drive in bad weather. My 16 year old just went through driving school a big waste of $375.00 not for teaching him to drive but the instructor was an idiot. My wife and I agree just because he is 16 I don't think he will be driving til spring unless it nice weather the instructor told me I was wrong he needs to drive in all conditions well that I agree but I think he needs more experience in good weather and with others around him until you through him out in the conditions first I think he needs to learn what a car does and reacts in normal weather. I don't know if that makes much sense I just think first you walk then you learn to skate so to speak I just didn't like the instructor saying that in front of my son I think his mother and I are capable of deciding when it is ok for him to drive. Not some instructor that don't know her butt from a hole in the ground. Sorry good topic and along with riding a motorcycle I sold mine a couple months ago. Trust me it was sad but I have 5 kids a wife and we have our own business I've never had an accident with it not even a close call that I can remeber I was always careful watching for others and road conditions but I just got to feeling that one wrong move on my part or someone else's could ruin alot my wife always rode with me and if she or I had ever gotten hurt or worse it would be terrible for the kids so its gone but I will get another someday.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »
I don't see a helmet as being any different than having to wear your seat belt. It should be mandatory no matter what.

Try driving a tractor trailer for a living. Some of the crazy stunts people in cars and motorcycles will do just to get in front of you  ???
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:18:53 PM by dumbucket1 »
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
Thing is, whether we're talking about motorcycles and helmet laws, cars and driving conditions, boats and boating laws, guns, and gun laws or whatever, it's all going to boil back down to three basic elements - age, maturity and experience.  No one of these ever guarantees the other.  There are plenty of teenagers out there who are mature beyond their years, plenty of immature middle aged folks running around, and plenty of both without the benefit of experience.  As brilliant as mankind has demonstrated the capacity to be, it has also demonstrated a similar capacity for genuine boneheadedness.  Trying to construct a system of laws which try to account for all of these things, without suppressing our fundamental sense of freedom as well as infringing upon our basic constitutional rights, has got to be an unbelievably daunting task, and will likely remain a system as flawed as Man, himself.

Having said that, can someone explain to me why so many stores have the sign "These Doors to Remain Unlocked During Business Hours" on the front doors?  I'm thinking, well D-uh!  Of course they're unlocked!  How can they do any business during business hours if the doors are locked?
• '73 Cheyenne Super C20 454/400 http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7672.0
• ’79 Scottsdale K10 350/NP208/SM465 “Oscar” http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37885.0
• ’87 Custom Deluxe R30 350/400 “Felix”

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 05:33:24 PM »
• '73 Cheyenne Super C20 454/400 http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7672.0
• ’79 Scottsdale K10 350/NP208/SM465 “Oscar” http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37885.0

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
How about the push in the clutch to start a newer vehicle? Or have to step on the brake to shift one out of park. Safety features supposed to prevent children from driving or rolling away in a vehicle. HELLO, How about the ignorant parents teach their kids not to touch stuff, or play in a vehicle! How about the automatic locks in newer rigs. What happens if you get in a wreck, your unconscious, a good Samaritan wants to help you out, BUT the doors are locked, hhmmm good thinking engineer!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »
Having said that, can someone explain to me why so many stores have the sign "These Doors to Remain Unlocked During Business Hours" on the front doors?  I'm thinking, well D-uh!  Of course they're unlocked!  How can they do any business during business hours if the doors are locked?

If it is a MARKED exit door they are required to remain unlocked while the building is occupied.  That means all MARKED doors.

It is required by the International Building code and the NFPA 101 Life safety code.

It is required because of NUMEROUS large "lose of life fires"  ie.... new york Triangle shirt waste fire, Iroquois Theater Fire, Beverly Hills supper Club Fire, Cocoanut Grove Fire Boston etc etc....

This is a compromise of allowing thumb latch lock mechanisms on door that should have panic hardware.  There is plenty of history on this one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:17:15 PM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
How about the push in the clutch to start a newer vehicle? Or have to step on the brake to shift one out of park. Safety features supposed to prevent children from driving or rolling away in a vehicle. HELLO, How about the ignorant parents teach their kids not to touch stuff, or play in a vehicle! How about the automatic locks in newer rigs. What happens if you get in a wreck, your unconscious, a good Samaritan wants to help you out, BUT the doors are locked, hhmmm good thinking engineer!

When I was a kid, both me and my sister knew that if we were in the car, we were to be in our seats. The only time we moved out of our seats was to get out. Of course, the only time out punishment we had in those days was when dad took time out to whip our butts for not doing as we were told, and we were only told once. I still believe in that time out method. The automatic locks drive me nuts, I have them turned off in my sub, but dont know how to turn them off in the 08. I dont think I can
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
Safety features supposed to prevent children from driving or rolling away in a vehicle. HELLO, How about the ignorant parents teach their kids not to touch stuff, or play in a vehicle!

I believe each of us survived just fine without car baby seats, riding in back of a moving pickup, not wearing seat belts, and no dang safety switches that drive a sane person insane.  I hate having to press brake pedal prior to putting car in gear.  Heck, I dont know how my cousins, neighbors and I survived growing up riding bikes the way we did and having BB gun battles without shooting anyone's eye out--came close a few times, but no one is blind. We all survived just fine.

You know, there is much to be said about survival of the fittest---those who are dumb won't survive to adulthood to pass on their subpar genetic undesirable contribution to society.  Well, that is the way it was supposed to be, but in today's society, anyone can survive. I love those Darwin Awards books telling how stupid people actually died doing less-than-smart acts.  

We don't need a nanny-state answer to all so-called problems.  If one is dumb enough, they simply weren't meant to contribute to the next generation.   The human race thanks you.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:34:47 PM by SgtDel »

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
SgtDel, that last line is hilarious, true,but hilarious
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline blast

• JamRoom
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

When I was a kid, both me and my sister knew that if we were in the car, we were to be in our seats. The only time we moved out of our seats was to get out. Of course, the only time out punishment we had in those days was when dad took time out to whip our butts for not doing as we were told, and we were only told once. I still believe in that time out method. The automatic locks drive me nuts, I have them turned off in my sub, but dont know how to turn them off in the 08. I dont think I can

Yep, my parents didn't come with any safety devices installed, they were more dangerous than anything I could have done to myself. LOL.  And I thank them for it.

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »

If it is a MARKED exit door they are required to remain unlocked while the building is occupied.  That means all MARKED doors.

It is required by the International Building code and the NFPA 101 Life safety code.

It is required because of NUMEROUS large "lose of life fires"  ie.... new york Triangle shirt waste fire, Iroquois Theater Fire, Beverly Hills supper Club Fire, Cocoanut Grove Fire Boston etc etc....

This is a compromise of allowing thumb latch lock mechanisms on door that should have panic hardware.  There is plenty of history on this one.

Thanks, Jeff.

Actually, I always assumed it was a building/fire code requirement, though I wasn't familiar with the history that brought about its creation.  Just always thought it was kind of interesting that all 500 shops in an outlet mall, all with identical glass doors and panic hardware would have this on them.  Makes one admittedly conjure images of crazed, sale-happy women storming the Corningware or the Dress Barn Woman trying to get in rather than people trying to get out.  No disrespect intended.