Author Topic: you know what gets my goat?  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: you know what gets my goat?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:00:07 AM »
My grandfather was at Cocoanut Grove when that fire happened, he was one of the lucky ones to survive.
 How about contents inside are hot! No kidding, I ordered hot coffee, I would expect that it would be hot! Obviously these are there due to some money grubbing mouth breather that sued for there coffee being to hot!
 Yeah the thought of the whooping I would get if I missbehaved from my mother or father was enough to keep me pretty much in line when I was a kid too! I was scared for my life from my father. That was a good thing because it kept me in check until at least 15 / 16 ish.
 It does all boil down to stupid people should not be allowed to breed. Eventually the world would become a smarter place!!!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 07:42:45 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks, Jeff.

Actually, I always assumed it was a building/fire code requirement, though I wasn't familiar with the history that brought about its creation.  Just always thought it was kind of interesting that all 500 shops in an outlet mall, all with identical glass doors and panic hardware would have this on them.  Makes one admittedly conjure images of crazed, sale-happy women storming the Corningware or the Dress Barn Woman trying to get in rather than people trying to get out.  No disrespect intended.

[/quote]

The sign is not required with panic hardware, only with thumb latch hardware.

No disrespect taken - All's good ;D

We had to study all the large fires of the US when I was in college.

Harold, did your grandfather ever talk about it?
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »
Ya know when it comes to kids listening to thier parents we have people bring kids in my office they let them run all over and get in to whatever and they don't even say anything to them. My office in Cincinnati the front door leads right to a busy parking lot and I had to jump from behind my desk to grab the kid of someone not paying attention when a little one pushes the door and heads right for the lot. I just want to slap the crap out of the mother for not watching. Like Blazin, my dad didn't have to say anything if he looked at you, you knew your butt was had. So you just didn't do it. Heck when it comes to riding bikes we would leave early in the morning and not come home til dark with no helmets or knee pads, shoot we would build ramps with whatever we could find. Never even had cell phones so mom couldn't call or anything she just knew we would come home when we got hungry.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
Ya know when it comes to kids listening to thier parents we have people bring kids in my office they let them run all over and get in to whatever and they don't even say anything to them. My office in Cincinnati the front door leads right to a busy parking lot and I had to jump from behind my desk to grab the kid of someone not paying attention when a little one pushes the door and heads right for the lot. I just want to slap the crap out of the mother for not watching. Like Blazin, my dad didn't have to say anything if he looked at you, you knew your butt was had. So you just didn't do it. Heck when it comes to riding bikes we would leave early in the morning and not come home til dark with no helmets or knee pads, shoot we would build ramps with whatever we could find. Never even had cell phones so mom couldn't call or anything she just knew we would come home when we got hungry.

When I was a kid, my sister and I were on our way to dinner or something with our parents, and were acting up in the car as siblings often do. Finally, my dad had enough and sternly informed us that we would each receive a whipping when we got back home that evening.  Well, as the evening went on, we all calmed down and had dinner and a nice time, and I figured all was good, and there would be no punishment.  So on the way home we asked if we were still going to "get it", and my dad, almost amusedly informed us that, oh yes, there would still be whippings.  So my sister and I set about pleading for mercy and whatnot, but of course there would be none.  As soon as the car stopped at our house, instinctively we both bolted from it like we were shot out of a gun.  My dad laughed his butt off at that.  He knew we had to come back sometime (and of course we did, too).  So we came back all dread-filled and sniveling, and gave each of us a good spanking, and that was that.  I have a big laugh myself now and then whenever I think about it.

Seems like these days people want to parent less and less, and let society and other outside influences do it for them instead.  If I had a nickle for every time a child acted up in a restaurant, turning the whole place upside down, while they just ignored it, I'd be a rich man.  My parents would put up with that for about two seconds before hauling me off to the restroom to tan my hide.  People won't do that anymore either, because there's always some busybody there that thinks that's child abuse.  Please.  These days, instead of Mom and Dad, it's XBox and PS3.  Why discipline at home when it's easier to park them in front of a video game?
• '73 Cheyenne Super C20 454/400 http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7672.0
• ’79 Scottsdale K10 350/NP208/SM465 “Oscar” http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37885.0
• ’87 Custom Deluxe R30 350/400 “Felix”

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 03:46:46 PM »
He never talked about to us kids. But my mom said he told them about it a few times.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
We had freezing rain here this morning and on the way home from work, my 01 silverado was all over the place. The road was a solid sheet of ice for 99% of the way home.

My truck was fish tailing pretty bad (front tires were in my lane, back tires in the other) when soem idiot flies up behind me and get this...kicks it in passing gear to get around me. Needlees to say, his insurance company won't be happy because the last I saw, he was sliding across a field.

I was going around 15mph all the way home and had people passing me doing 50 at least. I saw one guy slam on his brakes to make a turn and slid into someones yard tearing it up all the way.

Everyone needs to take a common knowledge course when getting their liscense..it would make the world a safer place.
81 Scottsdale K10 "Under construction"

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
I was going around 15mph all the way home and had people passing me doing 50 at least. I saw one guy slam on his brakes to make a turn and slid into someones yard tearing it up all the way.

Precisely my point.  Road conditions don't cause wrecks, people do.  The conditions didn't cause you to wreck.

Everyone needs to take a common knowledge course when getting their liscense..it would make the world a safer place

Won't do any good.  You can take all the classes in the world and people will still choose to get an adrenaline rush.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
As unusual as it is here, we do get snow every so often. If we get a snow dusting, guaranteed there are going to be mutliple wrecks
   Years ago, it had snowed about 4 inches over night. Not much compared to what you get up north, but alot here. I had a job in a town about 120 miles away at a hospital, so I had to go. I left pretty early, and made the first tracks for alot of the way. I was driving a 13k pound service truck, so I was cruising along about 20 mph. On one tretch of the road its pretty flat, but about 45 miles between towns, and I had several people fly by me like nothing was wrong, and one of them gave me a dirty look and flipped me off as he went by. I passed everyone of them in the bar ditch before I got to the next town, and the one who flipped me off actually flagged me down to see if I could pull him out. I only had a two wheel drive truck and dont think I could have done much, but I was still a little agrevated about getting flipped off for driving safely, heck I was even on the shoulder of the road. I told him that I couldnt help him, aand he started whining about his boss was going to get mad at him. I told him to think about that the next time he decides to flip someone off. His face went blank as he realized I was the one he filpped off. He stormed off and I drove away. When I came back 4 hours later, he and his truck were still there. I honked and waved as I went by......at 20 mph.

Shoot, we have idiots running into the bridges and off the road when it just rains, which doesnt happen very often either. I learned to drive in the stuff when I was younger because when I just started learning to drive, if we had an ice storm or snow, my dad would take me out and make me learn how to handle the vehicle in a skid or whatever. Of course, we live in the country so no one was around during my learning sessions, and the worse thing was slidding into a bar ditch.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »
I learned to drive in the stuff when I was younger because when I just started learning to drive, if we had an ice storm or snow, my dad would take me out and make me learn how to handle the vehicle in a skid or whatever

I enjoy driving in the snow...it is white-knuckled fun and I love it.  I go out at night just to drive around in the stuff when I have the road nearly to myself.  I purposefully spin the tires, lock up the brakes, whatever, to see what the truck does.  I even go a little fast to pursposefully slide and skid.  But I do it when no one is around and i have no possibility of property damage.  It really is fun and I increase my driving skills that way and learn what the threshold of what my truck can do.  I have more confidence later when I have to drive in it, and the law enforcement crown vics we drive at work are all rear wheel drive and the practice really comes in handy and I don't panic when in a slide.  Your reflexes actually change from locking up the brakes to steering out of a slide...its pretty cool.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:35:34 AM by SgtDel »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
when it snows up here i do the same thing trying to get stuck in my 86 4x2. just having fun one day i was on a back road and the road was icy, so i just goosed it and over corrected did a 180 and almost came to a stop b4 going into a tax ditch didn't even hurt the truck just lost some gas. got a ride home and was going back out to get a tow truck. cops were there writing down my tags and all i had guns and what not in the truck so after getting stuck in the ditch i crawled out of the passengers side door i locked it behind me. not knowing it but it saved me cause the f.d. showed up and they wanted to get my info so they couldn't, same with the cop he just asked me if i was hurt. didn't even bump my head lol.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 01:00:05 AM »
I love going out late at night on the back roads after it has snowed. Its a blast to rip donuts and hang the rear end out loose!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »
the other day i think sat we had freezing rain so the roads were  good till i found a spot i was in my 79 and it was fun getting those 38's spinning and that posi working

Hey blaze you see that 90 k5 its not a gem but its a k5 only 550 miles away
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:06:42 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »
Yep. I have to many junks already!!!

Offline blast

• JamRoom
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »
Lot's of snow noobs around town here now, everyone up for Christmas, apparantly.  All roads are snow covered, no blacktop in sight anywhere, got behind a girl in a front wheel drive car at three stop signs in a row for three blocks, took about 10 minutes to go those three blocks.  She would lay the petal to the metal at every stop sign and spin the tires for what felt like eternity.  ugggg.

---------------------

I like to get my 90 c1500 kingcab long-bed sideways once in awhile on the backroads, just for practice in case it happens when it shouldn't, it's hilarious, takes up a whole road.  ;D  Surprisely, it handles really well for only two wheel drive and no weight in the back. 

Offline arkoza63

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
the more safty equipment they put on our cars. the more safe poeple think they are, and so they tend to become complacent in driving,and forget they are the most inportant safty feature in the car. if everybody drove like they were tied to the front bumper there would be less accedents. i worked for a rental company and some of the safty stikers are hillarious. removing the stikers (which is illeagle, and don't recomend) would result in natual selection.

gone crazy, be back soon