Author Topic: you know what gets my goat?  (Read 21233 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
Re: you know what gets my goat?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 08:07:07 PM »
the more safty equipment they put on our cars. the more safe poeple think they are, and so they tend to become complacent in driving,and forget they are the most inportant safty feature in the car. if everybody drove like they were tied to the front bumper there would be less accedents.

That's exactly why around here 80% or more of the vehicles I pass in the ditch are 4x4's.  I just drive by nice and easy in my 2WD (actually a peg-leg) and all is well :)  If it ices I usually put 500 lbs or so of fire wood or something in the back and I've never had a problem, even when I play with it occasionally (when noone else is around).
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
That's exactly why around here 80% or more of the vehicles I pass in the ditch are 4x4's. 

Bingo!
An extremely high percentage of vehicles that spin out on highways/interstates during inclement weather are 4x4's.  They think because they have 4 wheels pushing them along (even though that is normally not the case) that the laws of physics and  motion don't apply to them.   How strange!?  ::)

Sorry to rain on their parade (pardon the pun) but they still have rubber tires, they still are driving on wet pavement, the wet pavement still has a barrier of water on the surface--yes, really, no matter your vehicle, and, the fact remains the rubber is not on the pavement, but, on water or ice--- yes, really. Hard to imagine, huh?

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »
Some more examples of my rave, a simple google over the internet turned these up, just the first few headlines and story lines of hundreds, the first one coming as I was reading AP News wire on my kindle today.  The roads caused and are blamed for wrecks and deaths.  In the last one, a snowy day caused dozens of accidents.  Wow, put the roads and snowy days on trial!   I bet in our liberal colleges of today, those working towards a degree in writing, broadcasting, or English are probably being taught to write this way.  Geeze people!  Each one of the below headlines should read, "Stupid drivers being blamed on dozens of wrecks".  Or, "Idiots who don't slow down during inclement weather blamed for dozens of wrecks." But, no, that wouldn 't be P.C.   We've all known politicians "nanny" people who are "less fortunate", but now even the media are the "nannies" today. People need to read the truth!  These things make it sound like the drivers have no control and the people are learning it's ok to drive carelessly because the media reports it that the conditions "caused" the wreck. 

Dec 25, 2008 ... In Michigan, slick roads were blamed for a head-on crash that killed two women and critically injured a man Thursday near Farwell. ...

Article published Thursday, December 18, 2008
Slick roads across region blamed in car crashes
By DAVID PATCH
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Winter weather, slick roads blamed for dozens of crashes in Genesee County
by David Harris | The Flint Journal
Monday November 17, 2008, 10:00 PM

Four crashes on slick U.P. roads
By NIKKI YOUNK, Staff Writer
POSTED: November 24, 2008
IRON MOUNTAIN - Slippery roads were blamed in four separate one-vehicle crashes in the northern Upper Peninsula over the weekend.

Slick roads Tuesday and Wednesday were blamed for seven deaths in Wisconsin; five in Ohio; four each in Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri; two in Kansas and one apiece in Oklahoma, Iowa, Massachusetts and West Virginia. An avalanche killed two snowmobilers in northern Utah.

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- A snowy day on Monday caused dozens of accidents throughout Genesee County, mostly on the highways.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:23:56 PM by SgtDel »

Offline blast

• JamRoom
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
That's exactly why around here 80% or more of the vehicles I pass in the ditch are 4x4's. 

Bingo!
An extremely high percentage of vehicles that spin out on highways/interstates during inclement weather are 4x4's.  They think because they have 4 wheels pushing them along (even though that is normally not the case) that the laws of physics and  motion don't apply to them.   How strange!?  ::)

Sorry to rain on their parade (pardon the pun) but they still have rubber tires, they still are driving on wet pavement, the wet pavement still has a barrier of water on the surface--yes, really, no matter your vehicle, and, the fact remains the rubber is not on the pavement, but, on water or ice--- yes, really. Hard to imagine, huh?

Part of that is due to the drag during a slowdown that the front axle will put on the vehicle when in fourwheel drive, as soon as you let off the gas, the front axle will drag, and cause the rearend to fishtail quite easily if the driver isn't careful. 

Offline arkoza63

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »

four wheel drive will help you get going and maintain traction in inclaiment weather, but it dosn't give you the ablity to drive faster.
gone crazy, be back soon

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »
1) Doesn't 4X4 mean that all wheels are turning at exactly the same speed and each wheel has the same amount of power going to it?  Or at least both front and rear axles are getting exactly the same amount of power?  That does not seem too safe on icy roads?   4X4 should only be used if stuck in 2wd mode?  NOTE: i know absolutely nothing about 4x4.  In fact, Liz Taylor may know more about 4X4 than me.  On top of that, she has more money than me.

2) i think what the medium means to say is "accidents were exacerbated by poor weather conditions,"  or something like that.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
The thing about 4x4's is that they have 4 wheels that can possibly drive the vehicle.The problem in snow and ice is stopping, and all cars have 4 wheels for stopping. You dont normally run off the road trying to go, its the stopping (or lack of ability there of) that gets ya.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
I watched a mouth breather of foreign descent in a 4 wheel drive SUV crash head on into a F150 once. I was following the F150. We were traveling at about 25 MPH as the roads had some snow on them. The slippery slimy type that accumulates after they have put down salt. This moron comes flying around the cornerahead of us and slides right across the road. The guy in the F150 , and I both moved into the break down lane and started braking. This idiot jacks on the brakes, and cuts the wheel. Crashes head on into the F150. I jump out and run up, ask the two guys in the F150 if they were OK. Yeah just shook up. I get to the SUV and the guy comes around the back of it yelling in his native tongue at his wife who is in the passenger seat crying. While he is yelling he is pointing at the rear, then the front, then the rear, then the front wheels all the while screaming gibberish at her waving 4 fingers with his other hand. Mouth breather was pissed because the 4x4 didn't stop him from crashing! 
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline lowbucktruck

• Registered Users
  • Old Reliable
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 05:25:09 PM »
The thing about 4x4's is that they have 4 wheels that can possibly drive the vehicle.The problem in snow and ice is stopping, and all cars have 4 wheels for stopping. You dont normally run off the road trying to go, its the stopping (or lack of ability there of) that gets ya.

You said it!  That is the truth. :D  It's the stopping that will get your vehicle sliding, 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't matter.  I lived in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe for several years and honed my snow-driving skills in the process.  Up there, heavy wet snow is called "Sierra cement".  I think its better to drive a stick-shift truck in the snow, so you can just downshift quick and let the engine slow you down.  I got to the point where I would rarely touch my brakes.

I was driving into Truckee one day after a snowfall, and this gal went into a spin in her minivan... her minivan did 3 complete revolutions, grazed my truck's front bumper and slid into the ditch.  I hopped out to make sure she was OK.  She was completely freaked out, asked me if I was ok and if there was any serious damage (nope, just scratched my bumper).  And she had no snow chains, of course!  ???
"Two rules get you through life: If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it."

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »
What I meant by 80% if the people I pass have 4x4's is they think they have 4x4 and are invincible and can play with it in the ice and be able to get out of anything.  I've driven on ice up north many times and I've never even driven a 4x4 anything and I have no problems because I pay attention and drive as carefully as possible
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
When I started this thread, the saying, "gets my goat" just came to me as I was frustrated and irritated about how wrecks were reported, ie: caused.  In the back of my mind I was wondering, where did the saying, "gets my goat" come from? I didn't give it much thought.

Then today I sat down this afternoon reading one of my books while sipping tea and listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D.  The book I picked up to read is entitled, March Hares and Monkeys' Uncles- Origins of the Words and Phrases We Use Every Day.  Not exactly a scholarly piece, but insightful nonetheless.  As I was reading the book, I saw something and then thought to myself, "I'll be a monkey's uncle" because out of  mere coincidence, the saying "get one's goat" was found on one of the pages.   Interested, I sat up to the edge of the chair and began to read.

Apparently, the term comes from the early 20th century horse racing world. Back then, goats were used to kind of calm down the race horses.  It seems for some reason, goats had a calming effect on horses. That was the perfect thing for horses prior to a race.  Well, it didn't take long for people wanting to make a quick buck at the track to start to steal the goats of certain horses.  The horses became irritated and anxious.  The thieves would place bets on the horse to lose. 

Now, to think people actually stole goats for this reason, doesn't that just get your goat? 
Oh, BTW, 'I'll be a Monkey's Uncle' was in there too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:20:38 PM by SgtDel »

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
I imagine that the "Monkey's Uncle" phrase came about during the days of Darwin's "Origin of Man" and the social turmoil that followed. Is this right?

Kind of like the same meaning of "Hmm, strange, but true"
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline frogman68

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
What about rule of thumb?

It came from when a husband couldnt beat his wife with any stick bigger than his thumb anything smaller was ok :)

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
I imagine that the "Monkey's Uncle" phrase came about during the days of Darwin's "Origin of Man" and the social turmoil that followed. Is this right?

Right you are!  Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species (1859) caused people to scoff at the idea were are descended from apes.  Out of sarcasm the phrase came about and represents anything that is unbelieveable.

Offline frogman68

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
Heres one that got my goat on my way to work.

Needed 10 dollars to get to work stopped at the ATM wouldnt let me take 10 said had to be in increments of 20 ok I am thinking its going to give me a twenty no it gives me two tens