Author Topic: '86 Silverado SWB Suspension Advice Sought (Pictures Added 1/12)  (Read 9300 times)

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
  • Truckin', like the do-dah man.
I've finally gotten the major mechanical bugs sorted out of my Silverado and now I want to fix the suspension.  It was already "lowered" when I got it and this is what I have been able to determine has been done.

The rear springs only have two leaves and have lowering shackles on them, I believe.  The front has stock spindles and the springs have been shortened.  I put a set of shortened Doetsch shocks that are for 2-4" drop.  That was an improvement as the old Ranchos were bottoming out.  I also installed a rear Addco sway bar.

The truck has 255/70R15 tires on it.  Here are the measurements from ground to fender lip.  Drivers Side -29 1/2 F&R, Passenger Side 29 3/4" F & 30" R.  (The RR is light and locks up when you get on the brakes hard.)

The truck rides really rough.  The front suspension is likely hitting the bump stops.  Also, I have a driveline "clunk" when I accelerate hard from a dead stop.  I've replaced the universal joint.  I have read about pinion angle shims and this may be what I need.

I like the way the truck sits and looks.  I'd like for it to ride better, handle better and I'd like to get rid of the "clunk".  Given where I am at this point, what's the best and most cost effective solution to get me a ride height that is close to where I am now?

I was considering adding some small airbags in the rear and letting that part stay as is.  Tell me if that is a bad idea.

Since my front springs are already chopped in the front and I've got stock spindles, I'm asking for suggestions.  I'm likely to have to buy springs and spindles it seems.  Will I have to change my front shocks?

Thanks for your inputs.

Rock
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:11:27 PM by rockable »
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: '86 Silverado SWB Suspension Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:49 PM »
Replace your leaves and flip the axle. For the front, replace the coil springs and use drop spindles. A wider lower profile tire would help.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
Where can I buy replacement leaves?  Should I keep all the leaves or remove some?

I figured the stock springs/drop spindle was the way to go on the front but thanks for confirming it.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
Find a local spring shop. Or look online at some specialty truck restauration websites.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
I guess I'm screwed on my shocks.  Right?
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
2 leafs on the rear is the bare minumum for tracking, IF had an air system on the truck. 
That is NOT the correct way to lower a pickup.  I would either get lowered leafs or get replacement leafs and a flip kit.
If the front is lowered with spindles you can use stock application shocks.  There is no way to tell how much the truck is dropped based on measurments as tire diameter will affect that also, but you can post a picture to give us an idea.  I personally don't recommend cutting more than 1.5 coils off of stock springs, and heating them is a be NO. 

I am not sure how you want to go about this, but if it was mine I would lower it the correct way.

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
Cap'n that's the reason I'm doing this.  It was obviously done incorrectly the first time and I want to set it right.  I don't like driving a non-compliant suspension.  I'm just trying to figure out what is the best way for me to go from where I am and keep roughly the same stance.

It sounds like I need to go to stock front springs and a drop spindle combination.  No problem.  I'll just have to evaluate the length of my shocks and travel once that is done.  (I've got shorter than stock shocks.)

The rear is definitely not acceptable as is.  Here are some pictures.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:50:50 PM by rockable »
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
Generally speaking, if the truck is level and you only have 2 leafs in the back, some one hacked the heck out of your front springs, because that would put you at least 4" down in the rear.  I would imagine you are going to need spindles and springs in the front and a shackle hanger in the rear at the least based on the measurements and tire sizes.

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
Re: '86 Silverado SWB Suspension Advice Sought (Pictures Added 1/12)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
I think I would prefer to not modify the frame rails.  I was looking at the Belltech 3/4 kit with stock springs.  Wouldn't that put me close to where I am now?  What would you guess the present level is?

Further research has shown me the DJM flip at 5" with no notching required.  I could go for that with a 3" front drop.

Also, I have no idea what the original leaf springs were.  Were they likely 4 leaf or 5?  I'm in search of good, comfortable, controllable ride.  Not hauling capacity.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:12:31 PM by rockable »
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Tony_SS

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »
I saw this one ebay.. is that where you got it? Nice truck.

I have the same 'clunk' under a hard accelleration. Let me know what works for you if you don't mind.

I would start with the Beltech drop 3/4 drop, at least then you'll have the stock springs in there. And replace the shocks with stock ones. Bilsteins ride really nice too.

Mine rides very rough as well... no drop, just a rough ride. Good luck!
1986 Silverado SWB 2WD
350 TBI / 700-R4

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »
That is close to a 3/4 drop.  I would put spindles/springs on front and a shackle hanger on the back, IF you don't plan to go lower..

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
No, Tony.  I bought this truck locally in NC.  I've owned it for a year and a half. 

Will the DJM 3/5 kit work without notching anything, Capt.?  Do you have any clue what the original leaf springs might have been?  4 leaf or 5?

What is the criteria for selecting dropped spindles over dropped LCA's?

Thanks for your help.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »
The truck probably is a std suspension truck with 4 leafs in it
You can get 2", 2.5" or 3" drop in spindles.  Most LCA's used to be 2.5" only.

5" in the rear will make your truck lower in the rear and sit approximately level.  4" in the rear will rake it.

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
I've ordered a 3/5 drop kit and new stock springs for the front and rear.  I'm hoping I don't have to notch the frame in the back, since I rarely haul anything of serious weight.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for the help.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Nice, clean lookin' truck...& garage! That truck doesn't look to me to be lowered more than an inch front & back. Lorne