Author Topic: Yesterday  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Yesterday
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
So yesterday I am cruising along in my 86 K 30 dump at 60 MPH on the interstate, traffic was almost nonexistant. I see way back a Mustang late 90's maybe early 2000's coming up in the left lane. He gets up beside me, I am guessing he was doing 70 MPH or so, passing but not blowing past me. I let him get his rear wheel about to my front wheel, and I put the boot to it. Trucks got some pipe, he had to have heard it, and from 60 the 454 will take it to 85, 90 in short order. Needless to say I drove away from him about 8 car lengths. I hit about 85 plus, and a few seconds later he passed me like I was on blocks! I bet he wasn't expecting an old dump truck to walk away from him like that!! He went by me he had to be doing 110!! I got a good chuckle out of it, figured you guys would enjoy it too.  ;D
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
Mustangs suck
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline oldyeller

• 81 Chevy 3/4 ton
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »
Kelly and I took my old yeller truck to town one day to go to Wal-Mart to fill it up with gas.  The intersection has 2 left turn lanes.  We were in the right lane and this guy in a newer truck gets in the left turn lane so he can turn faster and get in front of us.  When the light turned green, Kelly took off and left him behind.  He wasn't too happy when he missed his chance to get in front of us and had to go to the third entrance. 

He loves to play with kids in their sports cars in that truck, especially at lights.  It just looks like an old beat up ranch truck and they don't know what they are up against.
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton (aka yeller)
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab lifted with flames
1950 Dodge Wayfarer all original
1951 Chevy truck
6 extended cab square bodies
Just to name a few

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »
Maybe instead of saving up funds to build another SBC.  I'll be a little more patient and wait for a 454 build.  Thanks for sharing.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
Maybe instead of saving up funds to build another SBC.  I'll be a little more patient and wait for a 454 build.  Thanks for sharing.
Now your thinking. 500hp from a bigblock is alot cheaper and more reliable than a small block. But, I have to give props to the hi horse small blocks. Our trucks need torque. They are heavy and thats what gets'em goin.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
It just looks like an old beat up ranch truck and they don't know what they are up against.

I'm gettin older everyday and when the youngster see this old bald guy driving a 30 yr old '79 pickup, they think they can get in front no problem.  WRONG!  That ole stroker with dual exhaust no mufflers wakes them up and punishes them for stereotyping. I love gassin' it at lights and watchin' those dropped jaws in my rearview.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »
I am not a Stang fan but this one was good looking, and sounded real nice, throaty. Had 18" or so Torq Thrusts on it. Nice metallic blue with a satin black hood with a shaker scoop. I bet he is still talking about it too.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:33:30 AM »
My dad and I restored a '65 Mustang together, and I love it. Maybe the result would have been different if you were cruising next to us  ;D  That 289 is easy to underestimate.
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
700r4 with a Transgo shift kit
MSD ignition
Long tube headers w/ true duals
Upgraded sound system w/ subwoofer

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
My dad and I restored a '65 Mustang together, and I love it. Maybe the result would have been different if you were cruising next to us    That 289 is easy to underestimate.

I agree about the 289, especially the 4V A code 289 like in my GT

My kid and I are going to restore my 65 GT convertible when he gets a little older  ;D

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »

I agree about the 289, especially the 4V A code 289 like in my GT

My kid and I are going to restore my 65 GT convertible when he gets a little older  ;D

Yeah, I wasn't into the whole performance and racing scene until I got my '87, so when my dad and I restored it, I wasn't nearly as interested as I would have been right now. But hey, at least we still have it, so it's not a lost cause.
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
MSD ignition

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
My dad and I restored a '65 Mustang together, and I love it. Maybe the result would have been different if you were cruising next to us  ;D  That 289 is easy to underestimate.

I didn't underestimate anything. Its a no brainier, a computer controlled, fuel injected, performance car. Against a
1 ton dump truck. All I did was wake him up a bit!! I never thought anything more than what happened would have happened.
 My truck does go real good for an old dump truck. Kid that works with me took him a little over a quarter mile to get by me with his 03 Z71 with the 5.3 from a 10 / 15 MPH rolling start.

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
I didn't underestimate anything. Its a no brainier, a computer controlled, fuel injected, performance car. Against a
1 ton dump truck. All I did was wake him up a bit!! I never thought anything more than what happened would have happened.
 My truck does go real good for an old dump truck. Kid that works with me took him a little over a quarter mile to get by me with his 03 Z71 with the 5.3 from a 10 / 15 MPH rolling start.

I didn't mean to imply that you underestimated the Mustang, I was just stating that the 289 is easy to underestimate.  I would have loved to see the look on the guy's face when a big ol' 1 ton starting haulin' like that.  :D
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
MSD ignition