Author Topic: short bed driveshaft ( one piece)  (Read 5638 times)

Offline 79GMClowboy

short bed driveshaft ( one piece)
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
I have a 79 c-10 2 wheel drive with a 2 piece driveshaft,,,...Since I have lowered my truck it is in all kinds of positions...It has roared a little at 45 mphs...Well....It clunking,clicking and vibrating me to death now..Its on its way to be flying out....I want to replace it with a one piece...The geometry looks like it would be alot better..Anyway...I have a 400 trans....What driveshaft will fit? Other than the obvious....How many inches is a one piece? I need one bad....The local junkyards say..." I got hundreds of em, just come pick one out"...There will 5000 in a pile..Thats not gonna work....can someone help....

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: short bed driveshaft ( one piece)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »
Measure with the truck level on the ground from the output yoke to the axle yoke, with that dimension compare it to other driveshafts in the yard he has.  Make sure the u-joint is compatible if you want it to bolt in.  There is no magic number for lowered trucks because of transmission and lowereing variations.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
Yeah, what Chris said....but i would take your old shaft (s) with you to match up the u-joints for the yoke and rear (or at least take your u-joints out and see if the match whatever shaft you look at.  If your'e changing out your front yoke as well, count the splines in the yoke.  Take that measurement of the length Chris mentioned and happy hunting.

Now if you can't find one exactly the same measurement (which I doubt you'll run  into that problem since we know so many of our trucks are in these yards) get a slightly longer one and it can be cut to size and balanced.  Remember you will have an inch or two of play since the front yoke is a slip yoke and will theoritically go in as much as you need it to within reason. But, there should be enough play for the bumps you go over and such.

Have fun gettin under the ride now to measure while level!

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
Have fun gettin under the ride now to measure while level!

If you know anyone with a drive on lift it will make it a whole lot easier.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
Check out the shaft I had made for mine with TH400 however what tailshaft length do you have?

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7334.60
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 79GMClowboy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
I dont know what length I will get to measuring tomorrow....I appreciate the responses..

Offline 79GMClowboy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »
I went to a u pull it salvage yard this morinin..To my surprise they had 17  73-87 chevys....This is what tripped me out...The driveshaft is'nt but $17 plus tax.....thats a deal